Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I quit shooting trap (ATA and league) in 1990 for various reasons. Never shot at a trap target again until 2009. Shot about ten rounds in a company trap league. Didn't shoot again until this April. Guys from work talked me into shooting in the trap league again. I used my bird gun. It is amazing that after all this time I still tried to float the target above the front sight. Most misses were low. Was posting mostly 20 to 24 scores. Was real windy for the first few weeks with the targets taking off like they had after burners. Started to enjoy the shooting and comradery again. My wife actually said she was happy to see me shoot again so I went and bought a used Remington 1100 trap last week. When the missus says go, don't let the door hit you on the way out. Newer one with MC stock, step rib and screw in chokes (not classic). Picked it up Friday. Wind blew here (Minneapolis) 40 miles an hour Saturday. Took it to the gun club Sunday and patterned it with a few different rounds and chokes. Shot two make up league rounds. Shot a 24 and 25. The one I missed was a hard left from station 2. Shot behind it. Shot three rounds since with a 23 and two 24's. Have to get used to the shotgun. Sounds like as good an excuse as any. Still not comfortable with stance and hold above house. I was messing around with a higher hold when I shot the 23. On slight quartering targets I would pass up through the target instead of track it and shot along side them. Hopefully with some practice things will get better. I am actually thinking about maybe shooting a 100 target ATA singles event for grins and giggles. I know the reflexes aren't what they were but it is fun again.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Welcome back to trap DandyRandy! If my math is correct you have hit 120 of your last 125 birds. "Hopefully with some practice things will get better."

It can get better than that, but not by much! :) I wish my average was 96%. I hope you continue to smash the targets. Keep up the good work and welcome aboard TS. com! - Jeff

·
Registered
10,537 Posts
Randy, Randy, Randy---Sounds to me like zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (sound of line leaving the reel) hooked again for sure!!! Nothing wrong with that. Keep it in perspective, and all is good. Try practice mounting the gun, then swinging the gun to the left, then swing it to the right, then back to the fixed point on wall. Then repeat the process. Do this 100 times 2-3 times a week between your shooting. This will improve your shooting, rebuild your shooting muscle groups, and get you back into game quickly. Sounds like you have a very nice start. Good Luck on your Journey and break em all Jeff

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Good for you, I'll be 57 this year and just started shooting trap 5 years ago , played too much softball, volleyball for too many years, wish I would got into shooting along time ago now, it's alot of fun, Good Luck to ya, if you ever get down to SW part of the state we shoot tuesday nites by Lake Shetek....

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I know the reflexes aren't what they were but it is fun again.
Well, here's the way that works.......
If it was always fun before, it will quickly become fun again.
If it became frustrating before, it will quickly become frustrating again.
If it was a source of stress before, it will quickly become a source of stress again.
If you burned out on it before, you will quickly burn out on it again.
If it was a magnificent obsession before, it will quickly become an obsession again.
Hope you love it as much as I.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Congrats on the great start. I just got back in after 15 years.
Sound like you're getting back in with realistic expectation and with fun in mind.
Enjoy and bustem all.
George

·
Registered
57 Posts
I quit shooting trap (ATA and league) in 1990 for various reasons. Never shot at a trap target again until 2009. Shot about ten rounds in a company trap league. Didn't shoot again until this April. Guys from work talked me into shooting in the trap league again. I used my bird gun. It is amazing that after all this time I still tried to float the target above the front sight. Most misses were low. Was posting mostly 20 to 24 scores. Was real windy for the first few weeks with the targets taking off like they had after burners. Started to enjoy the shooting and comradery again. My wife actually said she was happy to see me shoot again so I went and bought a used Remington 1100 trap last week. When the missus says go, don't let the door hit you on the way out. Newer one with MC stock, step rib and screw in chokes (not classic). Picked it up Friday. Wind blew here (Minneapolis) 40 miles an hour Saturday. Took it to the gun club Sunday and patterned it with a few different rounds and chokes. Shot two make up league rounds. Shot a 24 and 25. The one I missed was a hard left from station 2. Shot behind it. Shot three rounds since with a 23 and two 24's. Have to get used to the shotgun. Sounds like as good an excuse as any. Still not comfortable with stance and hold above house. I was messing around with a higher hold when I shot the 23. On slight quartering targets I would pass up through the target instead of track it and shot along side them. Hopefully with some practice things will get better. I am actually thinking about maybe shooting a 100 target ATA singles event for grins and giggles. I know the reflexes aren't what they were but it is fun again.
Welcome back to the fun zone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts