Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To be completely honest I have no knowledge "zero" how to train a GSP. to hunt effectively, I have met a professional trainer, training all dogs for all customers, weather a Rottweiler that cant hear, to a shitshoes. , that needs a job.

I asked him to bring my male Seger GSP , to a steadiness, for flush shot and fall. He sure has accomplished that!
I picked up Seger on Monday eve. Ron demonstrated, throw a bird , Seger freezes, a while in the field a shot dog didn't move, any combinations, same result.

As much as this seems an advertisement for my trainer,, not meant to be.
I am Bragging of my dogs abilities!.
DaveB OH

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Shorthairs are smart dogs. We had a male for 14 years - he came out of the womb with hunting instincts and was great until he charged through a thicket and encountered a live electric fence. He yelped and got himself tangled in it and when he finally freed himself, he ran for a 100 yards and would never venture into brush again.

Our son has two, a male and a female. The female is a decent hunter but the male is only good for hunting something to eat a place to lay down. They're all different.

Ed

·
Registered
264 Posts
Seems to me they either have it or they don’t, mine have all been pretty easy to get going, get the obedience part thoroughly down and never shoot a bird they don’t point, maybe I’m just lucky so far

1 - 3 of 3 Posts