Trapshooters Forum banner

General Aviation and Trap Shooting ?

6849 Views 55 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  Ray Collins

General aviation for personal travel is done by a fairly small group of folks.

Trap shooting is done by a small group too, though trap shooting should be the national pastime.

How many trap shooters travel to trap tournaments in their own plane ?

Neal Knox used to travel to benchrest rifle competitions in his personal Beechcraft Bonanza.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
300 Posts
I've been flying my own aircraft since 1967. The convenience is significant. Simply toss your guns in the baggage compartment and go. Many gun clubs are located close to small airports, and the number of gun clubs that become available on weekends expands greatly. Instead of going to a nearby town to shoot, you can go to a nearby state instead. I used to fly to Vandalia for the Ohio State Shoot and the Grand American, and Sparta has a great airport that is on the outskirts of town that is just minutes from the site of the new Grand American. I remember one 4th of July weekend I flew to the Kentucky State Shoot for several days, and then flew over to the Virginia State Shoot to finish off the long weekend. I never could have done that in a car. I don't know if they still do this or not, but I used to fly over to Jaqua's and I would buzz the club before the shoot started and they would send a car to the airport to pick you up. The Airport Gun club in Lancaster,Ohio is walking distance from the airport. Trapshooting and flying have much in common. Both are challenging individual activities that seem to attract similar people.

· Registered
182 Posts
I fly a Saratoga from Kansas City to South Dakota for phesant hunting. 3 hr flight beats a 8 hr drive all the time! Used to fly to western KS when we had birds there. The decline of the bird population is why I started shooting trap and now I am addicted.

· Registered
8,994 Posts
I tried flying my Piper 180 to shoots at one time. But, I found out getting to the shoot from where ever I landed was a big hassle. Rental cars, taxi's, or having someone pick me up was not worth the effort or time. An RV is much better choice. Even a small one.

· Registered
1,118 Posts
I flew my V35 and A36 Bonanza's to pigeon shoots and hunting trips back in the 70's and 80's. Just a little more expensive but very much less time consuming on travel.

OTOH - had I not been able to bury it in a Sub S as part of my business there is no way I could justify the overall operating expense for insurance and maintenance and hanger... and I gave it up in the 90's.

· Registered
K80
219 Posts
Had a Cessna 182 and then moved up to a Cessna 310. Kids were young and busy and business was good . The planes let me get out and back quickly. The y are real time machines. Also grind up money like a giant blender. Insurance, hangar rent, annual inspections, etc, etc!. Left aviation in 1996 and times have really changed. Rules, restrictions, and costs. Now with retirement, an RV makes much more sense. glad I had the chance to do it, no regrets. But times change. Go for it if that's what you want, but be prepared for some surprises.

David Proper

· Registered
850 Posts
They say a boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into.

Pretty much the same can be said for a plane, except that you throw your money up in the air and it never comes down!

My '51 Piper Tripacer

Vehicle Aircraft Airplane Light aircraft Aviation

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Windshield Automotive window part

Kiv

· Banned
1,598 Posts
My sediments exaclty as TRIPLEA said..."Also grind up money like a giant blender"LOL..but so true.

I advanced up the GA ladder the same way and just found it was to darn expensive since 90% of the time it was recreational anyway. So I figured since it was for fun anyway I moved to one of these for 5-6 years and even sold that. I was a dealer for a while but finally just got over the aviation bug. But if I were ever to get back into it again I would buy another Challenger. It was nearly identical to my J3 but would handle better crosswinds.

Aircraft Vehicle Airplane Model aircraft Radio-controlled aircraft

Aircraft Vehicle Airplane Propeller-driven aircraft Aviation

· Registered
2,987 Posts
1953 Cessna 170, 180 hp Lyc conversion, well equipped for IFR. Beretta combo hardcase fits in the backseat along with plenty of shells and equipment & spare O/U slides under the seats.
Aircraft Vehicle Airplane Light aircraft Propeller-driven aircraft

Enroute IFR
Water Windshield Auto part Windscreen wiper Glass

· Registered
423 Posts
Unfortunately most bunker shoots are a little long for the C182. But I'm seriously considering taking it to Colorado Springs this year.
Aircraft Vehicle Airplane Light aircraft Aviation

Now if I can ever get this beast finished, should be able to haul everything including the kitchen sink.
Airplane Aircraft Aerospace engineering Vehicle Hangar

Hal Hitchcock

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.