Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently sold my reliable RCBS Grand (great press, by the way) and soon realized, as I was shopping for a replacement, that I just cannot reload 12 gauge for cheaper than I buy it, no matter how I cut it. I've done the cost calculator trying to figure out a way to save and my average cost per box, even with just 7/8 oz loads and my veteran's discount is between $5.60-6.20 with Rem STS hulls, even on sale. I can buy 1-1/8 oz, Win Super Targets all day long, tax free, for $5.36.

I will no long be loading for 12 gauge, but will be loading for 28 gauge. I enjoy the hobby of reloading, and plan to continue the pursuit, but I don't enjoy losing money on the hobby, especially one that takes my time away from shooting!

Reactions: Leo

·
Keystone Shooter
2,189 Posts
Sold my MEC 9000. I can buy Estates, super sport competition target loads at Wally World for $5.43 a box. And Rural King occasionally has Gun Clubs on sale for $4.97 a box. Reloading only saved me pennies. My time is better spent on the range than at the reloading bench.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,040 Posts
If your sole purpose of reloading is to save money, you’re in it for the wrong reason. Reloading wouldn’t be advantageous unless you’re reloading sub-gauges where I could see a savings depending on round count.
For me, and many others, it’s the combination of being the head of quality control and sheer pleasure of making our own ammunition that keeps us coming back to the bench.
I’ve also found my reloads to throw better and more consistent patterns which translates to better feedback on the range.
On more than one occasion I’ve opened boxes of premium shells and though “wow, I paid $9 for this?” Smashed bases, swelled hulls, mashed, swelled or opening crimps with shot peeking at me...? Not to mention in less time than it takes to watch an episode of “Two and a Half Men” I can load more than a flat of shells in the comfort of my den without having to deal with the ilk of Walmart or searching endlessly for that next “deal”. That crap gets old.
Bottom line...
Reloading puts me in charge, extends my enjoyment of a great sport and is a great way to spend my time when I can’t pull the trigger.

2A7A10E6-C59E-43A4-99B1-BF610FDC17D8.jpeg

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Reloading isn't for everyone, but it is for me!

There are others out there that feel exactly the same way.

To those of you who choose to go with inexpensive promo/Eurotrash shells, I wish you nothing but good results.

I've been reloading for 50 years and I'm not changing a thing now. I'll continue to make brass-based, quality reloads in my Remmy and AA hulls 'till I'm done shooting, and for less than most of you are going to pay for factory loads.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
2,282 Posts

There is an intrinsic value to reloading that should never be factored into the cost.

My reloading costs have plummeted the last couple of years buying deeply discounted components from all the guys who have quit reloading.[/QUOTE]

It is my therapy session. Also cheaper than a shrink LOL

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm right there on that edge as well, but I keep stumbling into deals on reloading components and mainly use re-dropped shot. I do splurge on a bag of new 7 1/2's once in a blue moon. I will probably never be under $5 a box for reloading but the only thing really keeping me in the reloading game is the versatility of loads I can do 'on the fly'

·
Registered
190 Posts
Reloading isn't for everyone, but it is for me!

There are others out there that feel exactly the same way.

To those of you who choose to go with inexpensive promo/Eurotrash shells, I wish you nothing but good results.

I've been reloading for 50 years and I'm not changing a thing now. I'll continue to make brass-based, quality reloads in my Remmy and AA hulls 'till I'm done shooting, and for less than most of you are going to pay for factory loads.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!
I could not agree more, I reload Win AAHS & CF hulls only, while listening to talk radio. Really enjoyable for me.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Currently, I can reload 1 ounce for $4.00 & 1 1/8 ounce for $4.25 a box. Shot @ $38.00, wads @ $9.00 (500), powder @ $120.00 (8 lb.), primers @ 10.00 (1,000).
Got a deal and bought a big bunch of primers on clearance. I reload as I enjoy it not just any savings there may be & I load all gauges except the 16.

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
I don't reload Trap shotshells much but I have kept all my equipment. The stuff does not cost anything to store and there may be a time when reloading makes economic sense again.

Remember about 15 years ago when handgun ammo was hard to get and the price about doubled? Now you can get all you want but the price stayed high. I reload quality brass case ammo for less than 40% of new. That is worth my time.

Market conditions may happen to affect shotshells in the future and loading at 50% will be possible. In places with a 35% tax on new ammo, reloading is already a good idea.

·
Registered
548 Posts

There is an intrinsic value to reloading that should never be factored into the cost.

My reloading costs have plummeted the last couple of years buying deeply discounted components from all the guys who have quit reloading.

It is my therapy session. Also cheaper than a shrink LOL[/QUOTE]

I just got 5 bags of shot, 16 lbs of 700X and an unopened sleeve of Remington 209 Primers for 250.00. My cost will go down for a while and I will keep looking for deals like that.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I reload mostly because I enjoy it. Reloading is just plain fun for me.

There are times I just want to do something relaxing in the evening. I don't sacrifice range or hunting time for reloading, but then again, the range is typically not open at 11 PM. In a well organized shop with a good cadence I can reload multiple flats in a couple hours. Personally, I watch very little TV. Television is the great time drainer. Also, I have always been a 4 to 5 hours of sleep a night type of person - and yes, I am not retired. It is not uncommon for me to head to the shop at midnight for a couple hours, reload a couple flats, and then go to sleep for a few hours, get up, walk the dogs and be in the office by 7.

I believe I still do save a bit even for basic trap and skeet loads. Around here, a good price is over $5 a box for Top Gun or Gun Club, and the shop that sold the white box estates has closed. Sometime I get lucky and find something for a bit less $$. I can reload better quality than those at about $4.50 a box. So, I estimate I save about $1/box +/-. But to me that is a bonus, and NOT the reason I do it.

I also reload because I bird hunt - a lot - released birds, preserve birds, maybe a couple tower hunts, a trip or 2 for wild birds, grouse, woodcock, waterfowl, usually a couple trips shoot doves and off-season dog training. I shoot hundreds of birds each year. I reload a better shell, to the speed and components I want, for considerably less than the cost of hunting loads. My buddies are paying about $15 to $20 a box for quality upland shells. I reload at least that quality for under half that price. I just enjoy watching that pheasant or duck fold knowing it was a shell I reloaded.

I also reload metallic - rifle, pistol - this is where I can really customize your cartridges to exactly what I want, and for each gun. I typically reload for well less than half the price of retail ammunition.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have trouble believing anyone would shoot 1 1/8oz loads. Well, maybe I could have said that a different way. One oz will break anything 1 1/8oz will break. I personally like 7/8oz. Now you can save some money, if that's your prime objective. I also load a lot of 12ga, 3/4oz shells. About 3.45/box. I'd have trouble even finding those. Same with 2 5/8" 1oz 10ga shells. They're not made. And then my BP shells. I can load em light at 2 3/4 dram, or stoke em up around 4 or 5 drams. The one nice thing about BP is you can go light at 70grs or heavy up around a 100grs and the only difference is some velocity and a lot of noise. That, and I can make the walls shake on our enclosed 5-stand. Even with standard loads you need a welding glove for the forearm hand with a splinter forearm on a old SxS. God the barrels get hot. So maybe you guys who quit reloading for the 12ga need to get out a little. There are other options. :beerchug:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Skyflyer, you say you "don't enjoy losing money on the hobby." I understand that, but even if you could reload a box for $1 and pay $.50 for a round of skeet or trap you're still "losing" $1.50 a round. It's all a matter of how much we're willing to "lose." Hobbies cost money. Collecting coins, stamps, or guns can potentially be profitable if you buy low and sell high, but shooting depends on the use of expendable materials that will NEVER return a profit. It all comes down to how much you're willing to pay for a hobby you enjoy.

If you buy shells at $5/box and pay $5 for a round of clays, that's $10. If you pay $6/box to reload, the cost is $11, a 10% increase. Is that so bad?

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Most of the reloading I do is for singles
But I think I'm getting a better shell with better components than the cheaper shells that are out there. I feel like the cheap shells are constantly being made with cheaper components and my reloads are staying more consistent so I guess until it cost me MORE to reload I'll keep shooting my red dot with Lawrence shot.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I bought my primers and wads so long ago I have no idea what I paid for them. When I leave those entries out of the reloading calculator my reloads are very economical.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 145 Posts