Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help settle an inter web discussion…

Fellow from Greece claims he has cleaned a Beretta A400 with gasoline for 7 years without damage to any of its parts.

I however am very doubtful of his claim…there are too many plastic parts for this to be possible.

who is correct…?

Joe in TX

· Registered
1,072 Posts
I quit cleaning parts of anything with gasoline back in the 1960's when I was a kid. I was working on my bike. My neighbor saw me and set me straight.

I own two A440 guns and have used Remington shotgun cleaner, Gunscrubber, and brake cleaner on the trigger assemblies. That's the only plastic (polymer) parts in the gun except for the spring housing.

No damage yet that I can see.

Oh.. and I've also used Simple Green. It's a lot easier on the hands...

· Registered
12,290 Posts
Help settle an inter web discussion…

Fellow from Greece claims he has cleaned a Beretta A400 with gasoline for 7 years without damage to any of its parts.

I however am very doubtful of his claim…there are too many plastic parts for this to be possible.

who is correct…?

Joe in TX
This sounds improbable due to our life and available products.

Although we may not clean guns here with petrol that does not mean they aren't cleaned with petrol elsewhere. In some places of the world what is the availability of cleaners and their respective prices.

Would I try to tell someone from Greece that he is full of crap and he does not clean his gun with petrol while sitting in the US - not a chance. In addition are you sure the petrol available there is the same as here (ie: all of the chemical additives). Remember, diesel fuel is an amazing cleaning solution.

· Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This sounds improbable due to our life and available products.

Although we may not clean guns here with petrol that does not mean they aren't cleaned with petrol elsewhere. In some places of the world what is the availability of cleaners and their respective prices.

Would I try to tell someone from Greece that he is full of crap and he does not clean his gun with petrol while sitting in the US - not a chance. In addition are you sure the petrol available there is the same as here (ie: all of the chemical additives). Remember, diesel fuel is an amazing cleaning solution.
DN

That’s a good point, I’ll ask if he really is using diesel instead of gasoline…who knows.

Having lived abroad for a good part of my service time, I’ve found that what we take for granted in America is often not the norm in Europe or Africa or Korea.

But if he is using real live flammable, explosive, and carcinogenic gasoline…I will mention the long term health issues he could be exposed to.

· Registered
1,608 Posts
I quit cleaning anything in gasoline right after my Aunt was moderately burnt! She had soaked my uncle's greasy farm clothes in gasoline drained and squeezed all she could get out. Put them into washing machine, distracted, came back 10 minutes later turned cycle switch on washer, hit start BOOM!! flash fire, washer lid blew up so hard broke her arm! luckily she survived. O
Only gas I use any more is from baked beans or ham beans and save that for my buddies!!
DaveB OH

· Read Only
3,349 Posts
When using insect repellent, keep any over spray away from your stock. The same holds true for acetone when cleaning choke tubes or barrels, I also advise to wipe your hands clean when applying sun screen to your body. Different products have different formulas and some, imo, may damage the finish on your stock.

When cleaning my 1100, 11/87 and 870 trigger groups, I soak them in mineral spirits, blow dry and then apply Rem Oil.

· Registered
15,230 Posts
I've heard of guys who cleaned their 1100s back in the day in their bathtub with gasoline.

It would work just as well as most any other petroleum product, although with a much higher stink and flammability. I can't imagine being so hard up that that would be the best alternative, hell mineral spirits will be much more user friendly and not that much more expensive than a gallon of gas.

· Registered
6,257 Posts
My Dad's first job was cleaning carburetors for my grandpa's shop ($10 each, in 1952-59) and he used gas, because it was quicker than regular solvent, but hell on the hands. He did not clean his guns with gas, he used Hoppe's, then gun oil or 3 in 1.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.