Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We played around tonight with two different Garmin machines. Interesting data if accurate. I was watching the reaction time and resulting distance that the targets were shot.

Most targets were hit 27-28 yards from the device. The unit was sitting at the very front of the 16 yard box. The reaction time varied a bit but the device almost always recorded the same distance.

Interesting data but a very small sample, Just one round. The data confirms that I can hit a target just as fast as I can miss one.

Any one else using this tool? Has it given any solid data you can use to make some changes with?

The data was interesting to see where I was at when I missed. I would call my miss (above, behind or whatever it was) and wait for the Garmin to tell me what actually happened. The Garmin did confirm what I thought.

The read out tells how far off from center of the pattern you were. My misses were by 12" or more. I heard someone say, "You don't miss by inches, you miss by feet". Sounds about right.

Please post any findings you have been able to use this tool to help out with. I am looking how to better utilize this new tool.

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

·
Registered
597 Posts
Just curious, what shotshells were you using? Lester

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
There's a couple treads on the Garmin already. click on one at the bottom of the page and the click on the one that says any experience.
Made some adjustments the first time that's about all. Now I use it just to gather long term info.
Last Saturday I had a guy that's really good shot with his CX and had bought a really fancy BT99 but couldn't hit a barn from the inside with it.
First thing I did was adjust his gun to fit him just as I would any new gun or new shooter to start. Right away I knew the BT was shooting low , he then shot a round of straight a ways hit all 25. I then had him shoot his CX hit all 25, BT hits 6" low CX hits 12" high We then started raising the comb until hits where 12" high.
One other thing I like about shooting with the Garmin by my self is it keeps me from shooting to fast and I tell the trap kid to go empty the trash or clean something cause I don't need them to score.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Fast shells your shooting. It also looks like you are predominately left of target, maybe a little comb adjustment Sideways ?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's a separate thread under reloading, discussing the shells. The shells were reloads. I was using a new jug of Clays powder and it over-performs. The load I had set up should have been around 1235 fps.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are the results shown, consistent with the unit recording lower left. I read the previous threads and several units recorded mostly lower left until a software upgrade was made.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That is very interesting technology, like most new tech devices the most important points are learning how to use it to get the results you desire. Efficiency, Accuracy,Speed etc... Will look forward to hearing more .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts