Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opener opinions. Belt drive? Chain drive? Screw drive? What is your experience? My chain drive Craftsman is 15 years old and motor bearing is failing. Should I stay with chain drive or is something better?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I had a chain drive Stanley that certainly did the job, but I moved into a new house (18 years ago) that has a Genie screw drive. It has been very reliable (gone through 4 hurricanes and countless Forida power surges) and it is very smooth compared to the chain drive. You should find someone with a screw drive and run it up and down a few times and see if you think it will suit your needs.

Merry Chirstmas and Happy New Year,
Tom Frazer

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Ditto on the Genie Screw Drive. I replaced my chain drive after it quit with a Genie Screw Drive. It is super quiet and really fast. It was also very easy to assemble and install. If I ever have to do it again, I will buy the Genie Screw Drive again in a heart beat.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
I have four Chamberlin "Whisper drive" openers in four of my rentals, Plus one in my own home, all from Costco. They worked great.

However, one tenant did ask me if I can change it back to her old Crusader screw drive because she can't hear her son sneak out of the garage in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
Had two Genie screw drives in my last home. Flawless. Didn't get a choice in the present home, single chain drive, 9 years, still working fine.

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
923 Posts
I used to use Craftsman chain drives but I switched to the Genie screw drive. The plastic gears in the Craftsman wear out. Ron

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
If you live in the colder northern climates the chain drives ( or belt ) are better when it is sub temps in a NON heated garage.

If the garage is heated by all means a screw drive will be great in there.

DGH

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
I've got 2 Chamberlain 1/2 hp openers in my garage. Just had to replace the head unit one the one that gets the most use after 7 years...$300 incl. service call and labor.

Ron Burr

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I'm disappointed with craftsman products anymore. They don't have the quality that they did in my Dads day.
Bill

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Myself and a buddy installed chamberlain whisper plus openers in our garages in 2006. They are both working like day one.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm thinking I will go with Chamberlain 3/4 HP chain drive. My hope is to replace the unit (only) and leave all other apparatus intact. Anyone advise against this plan?

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I have a 1993 Genie screw drive in my house that lifts an insulated double door. It has not let me down. I do not know if there are better ones, but this one has always done the job.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Are you sure the Chamberlain drive unit will match up to the Craftsman chain portion of your garage opener? I can imagine this experiment going South. Ron

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Why would you not just replace it all? Sounds silly to me to even consider adding a new power unit to an aged drive system. Replace it all with a good Genie screw drive and you will be trouble free for mant years to come.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts