Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rather anal at keeping my firearms clean and would like hear everyone’s opinion on G96. I currently use Qmaxx on my shotguns and seems to work rather well but when it comes to getting the wad residue out of my barrels, I can’t seem to find something that removes that with ease.

Feedback is appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
It is ok for cleaning barrels and wiping down the outside. It builds up, I do not recommend using G96 on the inside working parts. Regards, Bob

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
I personally saw the Cody Museum use G96 and Renaissance Wax on the firearms on display. If it's good enough for them to use on priceless artifacts it will work for me. I’m sure they have done their homework.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I’ve used G96 for several decades without issues or failures. I don’t believe it’s designed for removal of plastic wad residue. Shooter’s Choice and a bronze brush is the best solution I’ve found for that. I’m also a big fan of Renaissance Wax.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
A Caesar Guerini factory gunsmith recommended it to me a few years back. I've been using it ever since.

Good stuff............

Ric

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have been using it for the last two years. Previously a Hoppes #9 purist. G96 will melt out the plastic in your choke tubes and clean your gun well. I have not noticed a build up on any of my firearms. (shotgun or pistol)
Prior to finding G96 I spend a fair amount of time with a brush and a powder drill getting all the plastic off the chokes. No more. I spray the choke tubes down and let them sit with the barrel end of the choke at the bottom, (muzzle end of the choke is up) By the time I am ready to clean the choke tubes the plastic will come off with a light brushing and sometimes with as little as a wipe.

I have never used G96 on the internals of my shotguns, (trigger group and such). My pistols get broken down normally and its ends up in most places.

I don't find G96 to be any better on the rest of the gun. Just the choke tubes. For pistols, it is a little easier because it is a spray on cleaner. So all the nooks and crannies get covered when I spray it on. I do still lube the firearms after cleaning.

I was skeptical until I tried it. A gun rep at Scheels turned me on to it. I bought a small can to try and then moved to the BIG BOY.

Good Luck - Shoot well - Stay well

·
Registered
530 Posts
I use it alot for the last 18 years or so works well I spay it in the barrel and let it sit while I clean the receiver then run a tornado brush and a paper towel it works for me

·
Registered
598 Posts
I asked Phillip of Phillip's Gunsmithing what aerosol oil he recommended....G-96! I found it to be a great oil.
What I use to clean the interior of the barrels of wad residue and any thing else in there....Hoppies #9. Lester

·
Registered
159 Posts
G96 is what most all the machine gun shooters use to lube internals. I use it all the time seems to be a very good oil. As far as rust prevention i use penx oil from ponsness warren.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Once when we ordered about 100 Rock River lowers, they told us to use G96 on the stocks to keep them the dark black look.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have been using G96 for 20 plus years, no rust,cleans plastic from wads very good, what more do you need.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Once when we ordered about 100 Rock River lowers, they told us to use G96 on the stocks to keep them the dark black look.
It took me years to figure out what that wonderful smell was when I opened up my first AR which was a Rock River.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I’ve used G96 for several decades without issues or failures. I don’t believe it’s designed for removal of plastic wad residue. Shooter’s Choice and a bronze brush is the best solution I’ve found for that. I’m also a big fan of Renaissance Wax.
Don Im with you 100%. Used G96 for 30 years. G96 plus Hoppes makes a great aftershave also

1 - 19 of 19 Posts