Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally started getting into my fed papers and the 12c1 wads I’d acquired and one thing I forgot was to pick up a smooth cone crimp starter. So first pic is using the 8 point starter and second is no starter but used my finger nail to push in the folds. Took a little more time but worth the result!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Before I started using the smooth crimp stater, I used the 6 point crimp starter with a piece of masking tape wrapped around it. I marked in pencil where the high point of one of the crimp points was on the side of the crimp starter. Then I manually aligned each hull mouth crimp line with the pencil line and got near perfect crimps.

This slowed gown reloading paper hulls. The smooth crimp starter is much better and works for both paper and plastic hulls.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've reloaded a few of the paper hulls with an 8pt crimp and feel your pain with the fudd shells as a result. I've been looking for a way to load some of these without going to a dedicated press, and from the posts above I at least have a starting point. :)

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Self check at about 3pm on a Saturday. I sit in the Vision Center all day long and watch it.

I'd say stick with the smooth crimp starter, those look nice.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I reload my Fed. papers on ancient MEC 300/400 loaders. The crimping sleeve on a MEC 400 folds the paper great and you do not use ANY pre crimp.
It is even noted in the MEC 400 manual to do it this way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts