Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my Browning dealer call Browning parts department, and talked to a Engineer, and was told the new firing pins were longer. I received my new firing pins, and indeed they are longer in the back portion of the firing pin. Old firing pin o.l. 1.192, new firing pin o.l. 1.210, .018 longer. The pin has a sharper radius, and not as blunt. 10Tenner

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
So if they are longer in the back portion and longer overall, I assume that the front portion is the same length as the old pins????

That would seem to make sense if you want the same amount of penetration of the tip through the breech face.

I imagine that the new pins are heavier than the old pins. Could you weigh them and compare to be sure? If so, then the extra length in the rear portion of the pin would seem to be for adding weight rather than extra length for hitting the primer.

One little trick for making the lower pin hit harder is to snip about 2 coils off the firing pin return spring.

Easystreet

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
An interesting side note to myself and just information to readers of this thread - the browning springs for the .410 bore Citori are a couple of coils longer than the 12 gauge spring but other than length, appear to be the same.

·
Registered
10,304 Posts
The factory Mainsprings for the small frame Citori are a little shorter (1.90") than the ones for the 12 ga frame (2.10").

I typically keep these perts in stock, but service 20 or more 12's to one small bore.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Funny, this is about the 4th time in a year for this subject. And very seldom does anyone mention the business end of the firing pin.

I have had cratered firing pins develop twice in my Citori, which were replaced to solve the ftf problem.

The end of the pin absolutely must be smooth and perfect, or the problem will appear and get progressively worse.

Cleaning the channel is also important. I apply a thin coat of Break Free, and that's it.

If I knew the correct length of the mainsprings I might check them. they were replaced once in 22 years.

HM

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Old firing fin 52.0grs, new firing pin 53.4grs. When the hammer rests in it's fired position against the firing pin, the firing pin still has some travel forward before making contact with the back surface of the firing pin slot, and bottoms against the pin that holds the firing pin in place. By lengthening the back portion of the firing pin, the firing pin will protrude farther. I will add that I have used Wolf, and J&P custom springs, but still misfires. I will continue to use the J&P custom springs. WAA hulls, and Estate or Top gun hulls using Fiocchi 209 primers and a PW loader. the over sized or squared primer will dish the base of these hulls when using a PW loader. 10Tenner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.