Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FSU won the BCS Championship last night. FSU is one of three private colleges to have awarded what?
Hint: has nothing to do with sports..

Van

·
Registered
264 Posts
FSU is a private school? I had heard that it was originally a girl's school but not that it was private.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wahoo,
You are correct, at one time it was a woman's college perhaps I should have worded it different and not used private. FSU at one time was the West Florida Military School and along with the Citadel and VMI are the only schools whose Corp of Cadets have been awarded a Battle Streamer. A small portion of the cadets fought at the Battle of Natural Bridge in 1865, when Federal forces attempted to capture Tallahassee.

Van

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
FSU may have gotten an award for enrolling the most ex-convicts into athletic programs. If they didn't get it, Miami did.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aprice,
Let me state grist, I am not an FSU or Miami fan. Seems a lot of people think that the football teams down south are the worst when it comes to violations with their players. What about the Big 10, who in 2012 had over one third of their schools on probation, 4 out of 10. How about Penn State and their cover up of Sandusky affair. Which would you rather have, a con or a child molester? Really don't think there is a clean conference or school in the U.S.

Van

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I believe that the feeling about southern schools does not come from the breaking of NCAA rules but having criminals on the team.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
"Big 10(Penn State) has 1 sex offender,Sandusky. Fl. State has 1 also, but Heisman winners don' count?"

Big difference there. Florida State's was accused, but never had charges brought against him. Sandusky was accused, charged, and found guilty by a jury of his peers.

I do not know if either is innocent or guilty, but to compare Winston and Sandusky as the same - that would not hold up in court.

·
Registered
20,332 Posts
A few years back there was a joke making the rounds that went something like this; " What do you call the Dallas Cowboy huddle? Ans; A Drug Ring. " So it seems to me that wherever you go in this country, if you see a place where some certain 'class' of people ( like football players ) are pampered and coddled and given free rides, there you will find criminal behaviors. Small time or big time there are criminals in athletics everywhere.

Don T

1 - 9 of 9 Posts