Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any chance you have the gun's original grip? The S&W "factory" Hogue Monogrip had S&W logos on both sides instead of the Hogue logo on the right side and both sides were shaped the same.

Also, the 629-3 Classic Hunter was only offered with a 6" barrel. If you measure from the forcing cone (or the face of the cylinder), I think you'll find that is what yours is.

If I recall correctly, 2,000 of those guns were made in 1991.

Ed

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A lot of folks think those Hogue Monogrips were factory equipment because so many S&W revolver owners installed them. But they are NOT "factory" as the photo below will show that the Hogue Monogrip made for S&W bears S&W logos, not Hogue's, and they are the same shape on both sides so they don't cover the S&W trademark, as S&W revolvers can have the trademark on either side.

Some of them have the S&W logo in silver like the ones on the 5" 629-3 Classic DX in the bottom of this photo of three different variants of the Model 629.

But NONE of them have Hogue logos or high right sides that could cover the trademark. They are the same thing otherwise but you know how collectors want everything original.

Again, a lot of owners of guns with wood target stocks didn't find them comfortable and replaced them with a Monogrip, which is a very comfortable grip. Those wood stocks may not be comfortable but they look great on a gun and ones with nice wood figure like the set on the middle gun above bring big bucks these days as they haven't been made in some time. And those finger-groove "Combat" stocks like the ones under the middle gun are even more uncomfortable but go for $200 and more - if you can find them for a square-butt N-frame.

Here's a real odd fact. According to the third edition of the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, a "bible" that every S&W enthusiast should own (you can buy it from Amazon), all 629 Classic hunters like Jeff's were round-butt guns shipped with the S&W Hogue Monogrip, so whoever changed them did so because S&W charged quite a bit more for the one with their logo on it and the person probably sold the original for more than the Hogue cost. Or something - however it happened, it did as the photos above prove.

By the way, I didn't research Model 29 Classic Hunters but I can tell you that only FOUR 629 Classic Hunters - all 629-1s - were made with the four-position silhouette front sight.

Ed

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Here is my 629-3 6" Classic Hunter...

I bought brand new back in early 90's and it is untouched.

Sure looks like it says Houge Monogrip to me!

SW

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeff, I didn't say those guns were Classic Hunters. I was showing the S&W Hogue Monogrip, not the cylinder type.

Echoing what claybrdr said in his post, it would surprise me to learn that any manufacturer would have a supplier make a product for them that covered their trademark. But while not probable, I suppose anything is possible.

If you want that photo posted, send it to me and I will do that for you.

Ed

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know, S&W is a unique company in that it does many things differently than you or I probably would. For example, they make frames and serial number them but do not use those frames in serial number order so the best they can give you for an age of a gun is its shipping date.

Given that history and the more I think about it, none of the photos you guys have posted of S&W revolvers with the aftermarket-style Monogrip have the trademark on the right side like my 629s do. With S&W's history of doing the unusual, it is possible that they used that style of grip instead of their own on those guns. Why they would do that is beyond my comprehension but they've done other odd things. Putting their trademark on different sides of their guns when there was no space constriction, for example.

I've looked at and bought a lot of Smith & Wesson revolvers and I've never seen an unfired one in its own box with that grip. Maybe I now have...

Ed

·
Registered
167 Posts
Jeffrey, goodluck selling this fine handgun. Sorry to see that others have high jacked your post. Merry Christmas!!!!! Jerry

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say that grip is original only because the guns are Classic Hunters as I've seen other 629 Classic Hunters with the S&W Monogrip. Again, it's hard to say anything is "standard" with Smith & Wesson.

Interestingly, my 686 Classic Hunter was shipped with checkered target stocks, as its box label verifies. I'd be interested to see photos of your 629 Classic Hunter box labels.

Ed

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
I have one with the same Hogue grips and I bought it new from a dealer friend who ordered it for me

1 - 11 of 11 Posts