Trapshooters Forum banner

Frustrated with my shooting

1502 9
Need some advice/insight/opinions. My shooting has been consistently inconsistent. Went to a state this past weekend shot 3 handicap events mid 90 on one low 90's on another then a whopping 78 yesterday. Doubles has been mid to low 80's 16's a pair of 96's. Not sure what's going on I believe it's from the neck up however. No changes in vision according to optometrist. Not sure maybe it's a sign to quit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The last 2 weeks are pretty accurate of how most of the season has been for me frustrating and inconsistent. TIA EVERYONE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
221 Posts
I’m no pro, and certainly don’t know you, but this helped me a good amount to better my shooting and improve my consistency:

Get Lanny Bassham’s book “With Winning in Mind” and work on your mental approach. Sounds like your conscious mind is dominating the subconscious and your confidence is out of balance with both. You are too worried about the result and need to focus on the process. It’ll make sense if you read the book. Applying his approach will have you fixed up in no time, confident and consistent. IMHO.

· Registered
474 Posts
One of the things that helped me with the same problem is to absolutely establish a pre shot routine that works and never let anything prevent you from following it. I would drop targets in pairs, or sometimes even 3's, miss one, start thinking about it, call too quick before my eyes settled and miss the next one as well. The too quick call for a target causing misses was one I actually picked up from a Kiner video. I work hard at establishing a rhythm with the guy next to me so that I know when it's time to start my routine, whether he's slow/fast/in between.

Of course I'd do a double check on mechanical items first, shoot your gun on paper and be sure it's where it's supposed to be.

· Registered
5,326 Posts
Work on developing "Your Recipe" (pre shoot routine, hold points, gaze points, and perfect concentration and 100% effort each and every time you go to the line) and then stick with it. Don't get caught up in all the gimmicks. At the end of the day, its about how bad you want it.
With your permission, I am going to print that and hand it to people who are struggling. Possibly the best and briefest mantra summary I have seen.

· What squad am I on?
TriStar TT15
8,767 Posts
Lots of good advice here. Work on developing "Your Recipe" (pre shoot routine, hold points, gaze points, and perfect concentration and 100% effort each and every time you go to the line) and then stick with it. Don't get caught up in all the gimmicks. At the end of the day, its about how bad you want it.
Sounds very familiar but you left out the part about justification points...I like this one:

Why are you here?
To win.
And how are you going to do that?
Destroy every target.
And how are you going to do that?
One at a time.

Bud knows.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.