Trapshooters Forum banner

Frozen roller wheels on Pat trap.

1362 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  stilltrying
We have two newer Pa traps, they are about 4 years old. On one trap the wheel that controls the doubles froze first. After spraying it with break cleaner and spinning it by hand it now moves freely. The other wheel that controls the singles froze today! After spraying it with gun scrubber and spinning it, it spins but not freely. Taking the wheels off is a pain since one has to measure from the king pin for the proper placement. Is it time for new wheels or is there a simple fix? It took me at least 20 minutes of trying to get the one wheels to spin before it did! Are replacement wheels available, bearings maybe shot. It seems like the dust from these new targets liquefies then hardens and jams every thing up.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,124 Posts
You can clean the sealed bearings or you can replace just the bearing.They are just pressed into the roller.The older Pats used a bushing instead of roller bearings and a shot of brake cleaner and a drop of oil was all that was needed.The complete roller assembly is very expensive So just order the replacement bearings.

· Registered
412 Posts
We have two newer Pa traps, they are about 4 years old. On one trap the wheel that controls the doubles froze first. After spraying it with break cleaner and spinning it by hand it now moves freely. The other wheel that controls the singles froze today! After spraying it with gun scrubber and spinning it, it spins but not freely. Taking the wheels off is a pain since one has to measure from the king pin for the proper placement. Is it time for new wheels or is there a simple fix? It took me at least 20 minutes of trying to get the one wheels to spin before it did! Are replacement wheels available, bearings maybe shot. It seems like the dust from these new targets liquefies then hardens and jams every thing up.
I would try something like WD-40 and see if I could get it running loose and free. Once I got it working free, I would douch it down with either to dry out the WD-40. With it dry, it should work all the time. The WD will melt the target dust, and if you leave it on there, it will gum everything up. Carb cleaner will also work to blow it out and dry it up. Graphite is a good lube around the toxic environment of target dust and broken pieces

· Registered
412 Posts
I would try something like WD-40 and see if I could get it running loose and free. Once I got it working free, I would douch it down with either to dry out the WD-40. With it dry, it should work all the time. The WD will melt the target dust, and if you leave it on there, it will gum everything up. Carb cleaner will also work to blow it out and dry it up. Graphite is a good lube around the toxic environment of target dust and broken pieces
Oil will attract and hold the dust

· Premium Member
8,028 Posts
You can clean the sealed bearings or you can replace just the bearing.They are just pressed into the roller.The older Pats used a bushing instead of roller bearings and a shot of brake cleaner and a drop of oil was all that was needed.The complete roller assembly is very expensive So just order the replacement bearings.
Replacing the bearing is the correct way. Odd they went out. What is the environment they are exposed to.
I only have the old style.
Steven

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Oil will attract and hold the dust
Yes. But he said once the oil or WD has melted the target dust and freed up the bearing to douche the oil off with either ( Ether ) to clean up the oil and dry the bearing up.

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
White Flyer Blackout Targets seem to create more dust.
Thanks to all for the help. Bottom line we are ordering four new wheels. I got 3 out of 4 spinning freely, the fourth makes grinding sounds🙁. I believe I will try to make or buy a thin plastic washer to put on top of new wheels to prevent dust going into the bearings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.