Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would you choke a gun to shoot 16s & 27yd caps.
Last year I changed tubes I shot .032 for singles and .042 for caps.
I think that I'm fooling myself with changing back and forth and back again.
I have been shooting for a couple of weeks trying to figure out what works best for me and would be interested in what some of you are doing.
Henry

·
Thorn in your side
8,114 Posts
My Ljutic is fixed at .036 Although I am not at the 27 yet, I imagine it will do fine when I get there. I have shot from the 27 in leagues and my poor scores were NOT the fault of the choke. When I hit them, they disappeared.

I have had choked guns in the past, and it seemed to me to be one more thing to get in your head and make you question your equipment. That is one thing I don't have to deal with anymore. Put the one in that you think is the best and leave it. That is my worthless advice.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
I ain't at the 27 yet either (might never make it) but I shoot back there a lot. I also pattern my gun a lot...
I shoot Full for singles and X Full from the 23 or further.

I still wish my X Full choke was tighter at my 27 yard breaking distance. (42-43 yards) somewhere there abouts

*I don't have a bore gauge yet*

·
Registered
104 Posts
My Ljutic is fixed at .036 Although I am not at the 27 yet, I imagine it will do fine when I get there. I have shot from the 27 in leagues and my poor scores were NOT the fault of the choke. When I hit them, they disappeared.

I have had choked guns in the past, and it seemed to me to be one more thing to get in your head and make you question your equipment. That is one thing I don't have to deal with anymore. Put the one in that you think is the best and leave it. That is my worthless advice.
I had a Ljutic choked .037 by Allor. Same thing: drilled targets with you were on, might as been a mile away if you were off.

Good luck and break them all!

John

·
Administrator
8,595 Posts
In my Caesar G. bottom single I run the Lite Full for everything and have been pleased with the results. I use a Lite Target 8 from the front and a Lite Handicap 7.5 from the 27.

I have another O/U Caesar G. trap model that I run a full in the top BL. and have had good results from the 27.

·
Registered
284 Posts
im a 20 yarder. my gun is choked modified. at what yardage will this start to affect me?

Reactions: Ram Rod

·
Registered
284 Posts
In reality? It'll start affecting you at the 16 yard line.

It was an $8500 gun in the day with modified choke barrel. why would someone have a custom gun built to that if its deemed inferior from the 16?

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
How would you choke a gun to shoot 16s & 27yd caps.
Last year I changed tubes I shot .032 for singles and .042 for caps.
I think that I'm fooling myself with changing back and forth and back again.
I have been shooting for a couple of weeks trying to figure out what works best for me and would be interested in what some of you are doing.
Henry
My unsingle barrel, which I use for both singles and handicap, is a fixed choke at 0.042"

Henry, I looked at your averages on the ATA Shooter Information Center. You're a damn fine shooter. I think you should put the 0.042" choke tube in and leave it. It's not hurting you.

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
I have been building a back up gun I had a barrel choked @ .036 .038 .040 .042
I really like the .038
It will hang smoke ( front to back)
Henry
I recall some time back, Neil tested several different full choke constrictions, all else equal (same gun, same ammo, same distance) and I think he found that from 0.036 to 0.042, there was no (statistically significant) difference in pattern percentage. I think Dr. Andrew Jones found the same thing in his book.

·
Well known trouble maker
3,124 Posts
Always fun reading another choke thread. No seriously, I love them. All the opinions, all the math, what's not to like?

Throw in the sixteen and the fence, why the variables add weeks of discussion.

But this is TS.com! And as such, no thread is really ever complete without a little pussy thrown in.

So keeping within subject..............

choke.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I recall some time back, Neil tested several different full choke constrictions, all else equal (same gun, same ammo, same distance) and I think he found that from 0.036 to 0.042, there was no (statistically significant) difference in pattern percentage. I think Dr. Andrew Jones found the same thing in his book.
But
There must be a but.
Neil did not test the different yardage required to shoot ( front to back)
Henry

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
But
There must be a but.
Neil did not test the different yardage required to shoot ( front to back)
Henry
What he tested was the pattern percentage (number of pellets in the 30" circle at 40 yards, divided by the number of pellets in the cartridge.)

My recollection (I can't find the thread) is that he found no significant difference in pattern percentages, all else equal, among choke constrictions ranging from 0.036" to 0.044" if I recall correctly.

This was more related to choke performance than whether or not it was wise to use them at 16 yards.

Neil was a proponent of tight chokes.

Reactions: Jaburg1 and Ram Rod
1 - 20 of 29 Posts