Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used Frog Lube on their trap or sporting guns. I've read review after review on how good this stuff is for cleaning and lubrication, on all kinds of guns, but never on a sporting shotgun. I could use it on my AK, but not sure about my Citori. Any thoughts gentlemen?
Thanks,

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Just started using it on my Kolar unsingle. Seems to do a good job cleaning and it smells like Pepto Bismol. <:) I haven't done the heat treatment.

Gene in Illinois

·
Registered
182 Posts
Was just at the Pennsylvania outdoor show & there was a "frog lube" booth there. I have been curious about the product so I inquired. To me , and its only my opinion... The application of frog lube is a hassle when compared to applying "lube of your choice" on break open hinge area. To me, the "frog lube" is more suited for AR platform style actions. My O/U & single break action shotguns will still receive the traditional treatment I have always performed. I must say , frog lube smells amazing. I would use it as an air freshener before a lube !!

Be well,
Chris

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Don't know why it wouldn't work. They market it for guns. The most important part is clean grease. I wipe off the grease and and apply new after every shooting session. A gun with clean grease is a happy gun.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Its a great product. It does exactly what is claimed. I have not seen any official tests either but in applying it to my hunting rifles, my AR and AK platforms, my o/u hinge and in places on my Competition Synthetic I find it fills the bill... Unique name? Yup, Unique product? Yup. Does it work? Absolutely....... Larry

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have used it on a regular basis for about a year now. I did the heat treatment the first time that I applied it, and anytime that I do a major clean and lube on my guns. Other than that I just use it like any other CLP product on the market. I bought the wipes that they have. I keep them in my gun case and use them like I used to use Remington's Rem wipes.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
chuckie68:

From the Frog Lube website:

CLP
Pre-clean using above procedure with FrogLube Solvent™. For best results, apply heat to area to be treated. Heat from a heat lamp, heat blower or ambient sunlight is more than sufficient. Apply FrogLube and allow time to absorb. (heat quickens the rate of absorption)

Scrub, agitate, and wipe off excess. Normal cleaning tools such as nylon brushes, patches, wipes and towels are sufficient. Lubricate per manufacturers instruction. FrogLube will work dry or wet. Note: In hot/dusty or extreme cold, follow manufacturers directions for use in extreme environmental conditions. If storing, apply a light coat for long term protection. - See more at: http://froglube.com/froglube-product-info/froglube-directions/#sthash.aDaSqt6j.dpuf

Gene in Illinois

·
Registered
262 Posts
Use SLP 2000 EWL along with their "Grease" and say goodbye to all the other stuff. I am in the process of using up all the other lubes, but if I use EWL, I only have to run a patch or two down the barrel and it is spotless. No choke buildup, ever! It is also an unbelievable rust and corrosion preventative. Google it and see what it does. More expensive than others but well worth the price... and no, I don't sell the stuff, but maybe I should. Pete

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have used it exclusively in my Citori XT for over a year. Love the results, gun has remained tight, put ~10 to 12K rounds through it since i started frogging it up.

Gary

·
Registered
911 Posts
I bought a Citori .410 Sporting Clays from Shooting Coach last year and I immediately removed all the grease that he had put in it and replaced it with Frog Lube.

I keep a sample tube in a ziploc bag with a Q-tip for applying it to the hinge before every shoot.

I am slowly converting all of my guns to it. if you apply it to a blued surface and then heat the area, it will never rust.. I just went to a Gun Show where the CA distributor was there with her 1911 in the white, soaking in water. I saw the same gun for the last two years and it shows up soaking in the same can of water each time.

There is no rust whatsoever on the gun and if you rack the slide you will just about rip it off the gun.

The stuff works better than any other lubricant I have ever used and I even use it to lube my Dillon Press, and a variety of other things as well.

Whereas it does smell good there is little chance of people downwind of you smelling you coming. If my wife can't smell it, it doesn't smell that much.

Randy

Reactions: mascot

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Has anyone used Frog Lube on their trap or sporting guns. I've read review after review on how good this stuff is for cleaning and lubrication, on all kinds of guns, but never on a sporting shotgun. I could use it on my AK, but not sure about my Citori. Any thoughts gentlemen?
Thanks,

Supposedly is made from coconut oil. Don't know how it held up on the corrosion test but that's been posted on here somewhere too. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/02/21/froglube-is-probably-made-from-coconut-oil-not-frogs/

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I got turned on to Frog Lube a couple years ago. I shoot a Browning 725 Trap.

It seems to work just as described, and I recommend it.

It’s viscosity is very ambient temperature sensitive. The color is a big help in identifying dirty areas of your gun. Carbon particles show up a DARK black. You can see exactly the area(s) that need the most attention.

It does seem to be very ambient temperature sensitive, so I apply it with a soft, short bristle horse hair brush.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I tried it for awhile but quit using it. It may lube okay but I didn't like how it is hard when it's cold and liquid when it's hot.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
E5E53AFE-895E-453B-91EA-211D1724B0FC.jpeg
I told the guy at the booth in PA where he was selling it if he ate a spoonful of the paste I would buy some. Needless to say I have 3 bottles of it sitting on my bench that I haven’t used for 2 years.

Doug

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
Even the basic low cost lube will do anything that a firearm requires for lubrication. As Matt stated the only trick you have to do is keep it clean after every use and apply clean lube before each use.

Even the most expensive or best marketing jive lubes won't work if you don't follow the "keep it clean" rule.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts