Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was doing a bit of a reorganization at my reloading area and ran across this powder again (know I had some). Sort of put it on the back burner to use someday. Back some years ago due to a family death I had acquired a bunch of stuff related to reloading. I never really messed with it. My father in law and those old timers are gone but they use to rant and rave about PB. Don’t know why but the guy we bought are supplies from back then would sell those guys (8) 1# cans if he didn’t have an 8lb’r in stock. At good price. I came across these (3) never opened NOS bottles again and contemplated do I sell (cheap) to someone who has an appreciation for it or try to figure a decent load with it and use it up.

I think I will use it. I’ll continue to search down a worth wild load for my grandson who is a new shooter. Young shooter. Correct me if I’m wrong but so far it appears that powder with the right component mix it has always been preferred for 1 oz. and 1 1/8 oz. lighter trap loads. I’ll set up my old MEC Jr. that’s been in mothballs and he can even start reloading some of his own shells. Those old timers were into the Red Dot and Green Dot also, I’ve stuck with that also for the last 35 years also. Basically all I reload with. I believe those guys went with PB for the lighter shooting characteristics of the PB powder.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Any "burn rate" charts I've come across lists PB somewhere between Green Dot & Unique.....more of a handicap powder. I have used it in 20 gauge loads also....

Reactions: Spanky

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
I wrote a thread on loading some shells with this powder a couple weeks ago. There is some good content there by Guys that used the powder back in the day. I found an old IMR loading table that had a bunch of loads in it. Short of having one of those, if You go on the online Hogdon reloading tables, You will find a section for IMR manufactured powders. It was pretty good with a lot of data. I went into this thinking that I wanted to get a handicap load that would come in at about 1225 FPS. I did not quite get there. I ended up using Remington Nitro hulls, Winchester 209 Primer, 22.5 grains of PB, Claybuster WAA12 clone wad, 1 1/8 oz. 7 1/2 shot. This should come in at, or slightly higher than 1200FPS. This powder is very fine/dense. I use a Mec 9000 reloader on a Automate. I found that bushing #33 did 22.5 grains, and bushing #34 did more like 23.4 grains. I did not feel like reaming a bushing to get exactly 23 grains, which was suggested, as a preferred, long yardage load, I currently shoot at the 24 yard lie, and didn’t feel like the 1/2 grain was going to hurt Me much. Having said that, with all that has been going on, I have not had a chance to shoot any of them yet.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ll do a good search on it. I go by the book on my loads and components. I’m sure overly anal to some degree but that’s who I am.
I remember those guys always talking about how soft it was compared to this and that.

·
Premium Member
5,881 Posts
Was doing a bit of a reorganization at my reloading area and ran across this powder again (know I had some). Sort of put it on the back burner to use someday. Back some years ago due to a family death I had acquired a bunch of stuff related to reloading. I never really messed with it. My father in law and those old timers are gone but they use to rant and rave about PB. Don’t know why but the guy we bought are supplies from back then would sell those guys (8) 1# cans if he didn’t have an 8lb’r in stock. At good price. I came across these (3) never opened NOS bottles again and contemplated do I sell (cheap) to someone who has an appreciation for it or try to figure a decent load with it and use it up.

I think I will use it. I’ll continue to search down a worth wild load for my grandson who is a new shooter. Young shooter. Correct me if I’m wrong but so far it appears that powder with the right component mix it has always been preferred for 1 oz. and 1 1/8 oz. lighter trap loads. I’ll set up my old MEC Jr. that’s been in mothballs and he can even start reloading some of his own shells. Those old timers were into the Red Dot and Green Dot also, I’ve stuck with that also for the last 35 years also. Basically all I reload with. I believe those guys went with PB for the lighter shooting characteristics of the PB powder.

Thanks for any input.
At one time you may have received 5# of your powder preference for those 3# of PB from the diehard users after it was discontinued.

PB is a medium rate powder akin to Unique and Universal. It's best performance was 1200fps or a tad faster with 1.125oz of shot. Slower than 1200fps could be achieved reliably with certain recipes but it really not a good one for one ounce.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Back at that time I had a new unopened 700x that he had. I traded that even up for an 8 lber of Red Dot. With one of our friends.

I pretty much a creature of habit. I have not changed my reloading or loads that much in over 30 years of doing it. I’ve kept it pretty straight for years.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I just reviewed my old Dupont reloading manual. PB appears to be a very low pressure powder. One ounce loads with win primers have pressure in the 5000-5500 LUP range. 1 1/8 ounce loads are in the 6300-7200 LUP range. Could be a dirty powder if you are running the shells thru an auto loader. What kind of hulls are you using?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just reviewed my old Dupont reloading manual. PB appears to be a very low pressure powder. One ounce loads with win primers have pressure in the 5000-5500 LUP range. 1 1/8 ounce loads are in the 6300-7200 LUP range. Could be a dirty powder if you are running the shells thru an auto loader. What kind of hulls are you using?
Winchester CF’s. I’m gonna shoot for a light 1 1/8 load for my grandson. I’m gonna hook him up with a BT-99 micro of some type through the growth program. Talked to browning about that. Seem to be pretty straight forward. BUT I have to get him to shoot one and see if fit is decent. Adjustable should fix that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts