Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I went to a gun show and was looking around at all the toys when I found a Remington 1100 Trap Model. I have not shot trap in 10 yrs, But I liked the gun so much I bought it and want to ger back to shooting trap. I was wondering if I can get a new/used barrel for it with extended chokes. Im not shure what the fixed choke on it is now but would like to be able to try different chokes with it and see what works for me best. By the way I just joined the forum-should have stated that first. Anyway any and all help would be great and look forward to shooting trap again.

Thanks John

·
Registered
535 Posts
If it is a 30" barrel it is most likely a full choke. Is should say on the right side of the barrel near the receiver. You can send the barrel out and have it threaded for choke tubes rather than buying a new barrel. Those new Trap barrels are not cheap.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
If it is a step rib fixed choke don't touch it. Find yourself a later model rem choke barrel if you want to change chokes. The step rib remington trap barrels were excellent shooters be it in an 1100 or 870.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I'd try the full choke barrel first.

That is what most people use.

Who knows, you may like it just as it is.

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a 30 lnch barrel. Gun was manufactured in 1968. How to I know if it is a step-rib?
And what am I looking for as far as a stamp to tell me the choke size?

Thanks John

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
The flat rib barrels were every bit as good as the step rib barrels. The step rib is as high at the muzzle as it is at the receiver end so the POI is the same for both.

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Unless someone has already changed the barrel if it is a Trap Grade 1100 with a fixed choke it will either be "Full" or "Mod. Trap"( sort of a tight mod.). I would pattern the gun and see what it does on paper. In my experience those old fixed trap chokes were target crunching machines. I you have your heart set on a choke tube barrel they are easy to find. Some are listed on here in the for sale threads from time to time. A choke tube barrel would let you shoot Skeet/Sporting with it. I had traded two barrels myself here. But ,as far as trap goes,I would try it and if it works --Don't fix it!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The barrel is stamped - per instructions - MOD. TRAP. Does this mean Modified choke ?

The Rib at the reciever slowly ramps down into it. Barrel is not a Step-Down ?

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
As slide action said Mod Trap is a tight mod or really improved mod. The barrel you describe is the flat rib, not the step rib, but both are equally good.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
No one shot a 1100 better than Leo Harrison...his only problem was that he shot so much/often, he had a lot of upkeep on his gun. Keep it very clean and this will help, Leo was never known for cleaning his gun too often!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts