551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found my 1oz target load
1oz of 8s
CB-1100-12 wad
17.1gr of ClayDot
Fed 209A primer
Rem STS or Gunclub hull

It is soft shooting in both my trap guns hits targets hard. I will pattern them tomorrow or on Sunday.
Good luck zack h

·
Registered
32,289 Posts
Excellent, I am running a similar load in a AA hull with 16.5 grains of e3 with a waa12l wad (the recipe calls for 1oz even though it's a 7/8oz wad...which I found to be a stretch)wad ...they are absolutely devastating on targets but I cannot get great crimp consistency out of AA's, I will try this load with the stockpile of sts I have laying around
I have used that same load myself, it is a good one.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Had this 1 oz. formula lab tested a couple years ago:

STS/GC hulls
17 gn Red Dot
Downrange RT-12 or HRT-12
Federal 209A primer

average PSI=9326, average fps=1215 (15 shell sample)

Won a number of events in registered competition with it over the past few years

Reactions: acorange

·
Registered
775 Posts
Excellent, I am running a similar load in a AA hull with 16.5 grains of e3 with a waa12l wad (the recipe calls for 1oz even though it's a 7/8oz wad...which I found to be a stretch) ...they are absolutely devastating on targets but I cannot get great crimp consistency out of AA's, I will try your load with the stockpile of sts I have laying around

You may want to try to seat the wad just a tad deeper. If you loading a Hornady 366. Hornady "Offers" a special crimp die specifically for the Winchester "AA" case. I did not know Hornady had a Win AA special crimp die for the AA-HS case until a poster mentioned he had one on here a few weeks ago. I ordered one from Hornady and the die has greatly improved my crimps on AA cases that are near the end of their loaded life.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
My 1oz load is:

1oz 7 1/2s
STS/NITRO 27 or WIN AA hull
16.5 gr Titegroup
CB8100-12 wad
Winchester 209 primer

Very soft shooting and hammers targets from anywhere. Book puts velocity @ 1200 fps +/- but I've never run through a chronograph.

I've even backed it off to 16 gr and can't tell a difference in speed.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Thats mine too -- soft shooter

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Nebs I just imagine that he's speaking of a soft shooter compared to other loads that he has shot and/or loaded in search of a load that was soft to himself.
Actual felt recoil is a personal thing. For a load that might kick the piss out of one individual might feel comfortable to another. There's lots of factors involved but the final outcome will be how a particular load feels to a particular individual.
Felt recoil is exactly as it says.
Felt!
Felt to you.
Felt to me.
Felt to your friend.
Felt to each and everyone individually.

Felt Recoil.
There might be a more scientific definition or a explanation for the description of felt recoil but imho it is a individual feeling.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts