Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dangers of texting and reloading....everything was cruising along nicely until I saw my phone light up. Looked over just as I pushed the buttons on my 9000E and heard a telling sound that not everything went according to plan on the down-stroke.

I'm thinking it'll be alright to shoot, might sound a little funny but should be good, right Jerry ;)

texting and loading (2).jpg

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have an older P/W 900 Elite with Spolar hydraulics, and if I'm asleep at the switch this happens.

Also, what is this deal where as soon as I spill 1 1/8 ozs. of shot it seems like it magically multiplies into 25 lbs.! Man, that crap goes everywhere...........

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
I share your pain. This one was last week when I decided I needed to change my powder bushing and I tilted the upper head back and the little red capper on the shot hopper came loose (use tape when you tilt it back next time dummy.)

It was probably 6-8 pounds of shot.
IMG_20200528_195503488_HDR[1].jpg

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
The dangers of texting and reloading....everything was cruising along nicely until I saw my phone light up. Looked over just as I pushed the buttons on my 9000E and heard a telling sound that not everything went according to plan on the down-stroke.

I'm thinking it'll be alright to shoot, might sound a little funny but should be good, right Jerry ;)

View attachment 1690311
Loading is just like shooting, one moment of lack of focus=pain. Those are some good looking Nitro hulls.
Doug

·
What squad am I on?
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I share your pain. This one was last week when I decided I needed to change my powder bushing and I tilted the upper head back and the little red capper on the shot hopper came loose (use tape when you tilt it back next time dummy.)

It was probably 6-8 pounds of shot. View attachment 1690313
Did that, not once but twice when my better half was trying to have a conversation in the loading area....tipped it back...whoosh, didn't have the cap in. Cleaned it up, poured it back in and tipped it back again, whoosh. She started laughing her arse off as I yelled "GET OUT!"

·
What squad am I on?
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Loading is just like shooting, one moment of lack of focus=pain. Those are some good looking Nitro hulls.
Doug
STS and Nitro's are all I load anymore. @JACK hooked me up with thousands of each. Got rid of all my other hulls, went to two loads and simplified it as much as possible. Very happy with the decision to do so.

·
Registered
243 Posts
On my P/W when first starting up and then when running off the last rounds I have to be VERY conscious of what order I throw the on/off levers for shot and powder. If something goes wrong during the run (like WadHoppers pic) then I have to be really on the ball.

I've never seen a MEC 9000 run, do you have to turn powder/shot on and off?

·
What squad am I on?
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've never seen a MEC 9000 run, do you have to turn powder/shot on and off?
Jack beat me to it...
If you're going to clear it off the first thing you do is tip the primer tray back and let the press take it from there. The charge bar won't allow powder to drop without the primer. After that, the bar locks in place preventing the shot from dropping and you can run off the remaining shells.
From an empty start it's the opposite. It'll keep the bar locked for the first stage until it indexes onto the primer seat. On the down-stroke it will seat the primer, unlocking the bar allowing the powder to drop and you're on the road at that point.
Actually quite ingenious!

·
Perazzi MX10RS
2,023 Posts
Wad, it's actually the hull in station 2 that creates the powder drop tube to raise (when seating the primer) and pushes up on a bar with an e-clip that raises the charge bar stop allowing the charge bar to drop the powder on the upstroke. It WILL drop powder without a primer, if there's a hull in station 2.

·
Registered
22,876 Posts
Jack beat me to it...
If you're going to clear it off the first thing you do is tip the primer tray back and let the press take it from there. The charge bar won't allow powder to drop without the primer. After that, the bar locks in place preventing the shot from dropping and you can run off the remaining shells.
From an empty start it's the opposite. It'll keep the bar locked for the first stage until it indexes onto the primer seat. On the down-stroke it will seat the primer, unlocking the bar allowing the powder to drop and you're on the road at that point.
Actually quite ingenious!
Nope. Nope. Nope.
It won’t ( if properly adjusted ) drop powder without a hull in the reprime/powder station. Don’t believe it? Put a primer in the reprime hole and cycle the machine. Then put a hull in with no primer ( open hole in hull ) and cycle it. Better have a hull under the wad/shot station on the next cycle because you will drop shot as the bar lock resets.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have an older P/W 900 Elite with Spolar hydraulics, and if I'm asleep at the switch this happens.

Also, what is this deal where as soon as I spill 1 1/8 ozs. of shot it seems like it magically multiplies into 25 lbs.! Man, that crap goes everywhere...........
Look on the bright side, RR. Spill a couple of ounces of shot and you'll be sweeping it up forever. It's a lifetime supply of free shot. :bigdeal:

·
Registered
32,284 Posts
And it will migrate everywhere. How does it end up in my sock draw? I suspect my wife, quite frankly.

Reactions: WadHopper
1 - 20 of 52 Posts