Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious if anyone here owns a 2013 or 2014 Ford Explorer? I am looking to order one and would like your impressions of this vehicle. What model? XLT? Limited? Sport? Which engine do you have? What is you gas mileage? Anything you ordered in options you wouldn't do again? Any other impressions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Got a 2013 XLT 4 wheel drive. Did not get the computer screen as it looked like an expensive item to have worked on and didn't really need it. I know I would not get another black interior, shows every bit of lint and dust. Get 20 to 22 mpg. I don't like the window arm rest as they are not comfortable, but am getting used to it. As far as the ride goes I really like it. Overall happy with it, I still have our 2004 and also still happy with it. We bought off the lot, didn't order. 4 wheel works good not the clearance that the 2004 has.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Hey Bobby, I just bought a 2014 Explorer XLT, I have no idea what engine it has, but I like the ride. I didn't get the NAV system, we had that before in our truck and never used it. I did get bucket seats in the second row to make it much easier to get into the third row seats. Didn't get the power lift gate and don't miss it. No sun-roof. I do like the blind spot mirror and back up camera. I got a tan leather interior but the dash is black and does show dust. Got the 20" wheels and they look really nice. Fred (my new puppy) isn't wild about the front seat console, it keeps him from sitting on my lap and driving. I don't think I would ever order and buy sight unseen again, got burned by the Chevy folks years ago. I like to test drive off the lot and know what I'm getting.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Hi Bobby, Although I bought one last winter in AZ I haven't put enough mileage on yet to really give you a lot of help. I did get the 4 wheel drive for the back roads which can take you to some spectacular places. Mileage is decent, low 20's and very comfortable. I didn't buy many bells and whistles, I keep those for the dog;) Be adding mileage soon. Enjoy and best wishes, Bob

Edit: An edit for you Bobby. It was a white knuckle ride for my wife also because we were on a trail on Montana Mtn in the Superstitions. Not a happy camper LOL. Enjoy

·
Registered
992 Posts
Bob, I bought a new 2014 just before I left Calgary to come south for the winter. I got the Sport model and I think that they only come (full loaded) I like the ride and it goes like a raped ape. I got stopped twice coming down. The mileage is in the 20s and I think it is a good looking rig. I took it to Tucson and used it for shooting and it seems ok. Trevor Dawe

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
For the 2014 Explorer models, unless you order differently the standard engine is a 290hp V6 rated at 17/24 mpg with a combined 20mpg. All the specs and details are at Ford.com.

Eric

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bob and White Rattler,

Thanks guys! I appreciate first hand experience talking! The 4 WD models whether a Sport Version or the other versions only comes in the 3.5 liter Ecoboost engine so mileage like you guys are talking is really great! I drove a used on Saturday with this engine and was AMAZED at the power. My wife was not so impressed! It was a white knuckle ride for her.

Mixer, Thanks I a appreciate your offering. Mileage ratings from the manufacturer mean literally nothing compared to first hand accounts. You can count on NOT getting what they tell you it will. I do use the website to configure various vehicles. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Yeah I knew that. There's also a 4 cyl version with the ecoboost.

Eric

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For the record, the Base, XLT and Limited versions of the 2014 comes standard with a 3.5 Liter V6 TIVCT engine rated at 290 horsepower. There is the 3.5 V6 Ecoboost and the 2.0 4 cylinder Ecoboost available as an option. The Sport model as White Rattler says comes only with the V6 Ecoboost.

Thanks Guys and Lady!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I'm in the second year of a lease on a 2013 XLT. I have the V6. Mileage is not quite as good as advertised, but no complaints on that count.

I'm very disappointed in the SYNC system, however; especially attempting to use a non-ZUNE MP3 player (Sony Walkman). Even now, when I reverted back to a ZUNE player, the radio will change between MP3 and AM/FM radio without me doing anything; and it constantly re-indexes, even when the MP3 player hasn't been disconnected. I've discussed this with Ford, and their in-vehicle tech support. But, there's apparently little that can be done. It has the latest version control updates, so out-of-date software is not an issue. The SYNC system is designed around the ZUNE, but good luck with finding one, since they're no longer made.

The SYNC System has gotten some deserved bad marks. The telephone SYNC portion works fine.

The only problem I've had outside the SYNC, was the failure of the power door lock module. It failed after 6k miles, but was replaced. That has been the only problem with the vehicle.

I worked for Ford for over 38 years, and I was an IT manager when I retired. It's beyond me, that a computer system installed in a vehicle with such a narrowly designed music platform. The world lives on the iPod. I guess that the Microsoft design is just not a sturdy enough platform.

Best, Dennis

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
My friend bought a 2012 Ford V8 truck. He has had a problem with it that the dealer cannot resolve. Aftyer driving it for several hours, he stops for gas, etc. and when he re-starts it the engine seems to be un-able to develop power. The dealer says that it is a relatively common problem with this engine (at least he has seen it several times before)and the engineers are puzzled in looking for a solution. It doesn't happen every time but it has happened to him more than once.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm third generation owner of our rural KS Ford dealership my grandfather started after he returned from WWII in 1946. I'm a 15 year ATA Life Member and have many shooting buddies driving vehicles with the blue oval. I would be more than happy to visit with you and tell you the good and the bad if you're interested.
Jesse Secrest
800-352-1946

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I'm in the second season of a new '13 Limited 4x4 Explorer that we keep at our Some-r-home in Maine. It replaced a 10 year old Toyota 4-Runner, which we all enjoyed for it's open cab design and trouble free existence. Sorry to say, not-so with the Explorer.

Pros - American made, not Gov-motors. Reasonable ride for front seat passengers. decent braking system and good power (most of the time) ---That's about it.

Cons - constant back-seat complaints (boxed-in, can't see much, rides hard, and unstable). The electronics are a PITA. The self-diagnostic system - doesn't, and interrupts you constantly to tell you it's not working. Phone sync is a joke, old ears can't hear garbled com.

The gas around town is dismal at 14MPG. The 6 speed auto-trans is another PITA, and the engine bogs out when gas is applied from a rolling start (I was surprised to hear others with this same unidentifiable problem).

It's been to the dealership more times than I care to count, and even they can't program it correctly.

The cab is so closed-in that you need a back-up camera for Reverse, and if you're over 6' getting in is like crawling into a survival raft.

I've owned a lot of Ford trucks, and enjoyed almost all of them. The '13 Explorer is a very expensive miss in my estimation, and this spring it will be replaced, most likely with a heavy hit in the pocket.

Sorry to be so negative, but it's just fact.

Kip

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Pendennis, have your dealer techs check the FCIM for an intermittent switching problem. I have had several of them. It thinks you are touching the faceplate when you are not. They will need to monitor that to verify. Also just because you may have had the latest software a month or so ago doesn't mean you do now. There have been so many software updates for that system to fix all the problems. Good luck.

I'm a dealer tech and I personally like the Explorers. Just wish I could afford one right now. Good luck with it.

Steve

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been driving a new 2014 Explorer Sport for a few months now, it has the 3.5 Ecoboost engine ,lots of horse power,no long trips yet but around town getting good mileage.
I got most of the options on it ,nice ride,very happy with it so far.
Wayne Lyman

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes plan on coming done for the spring grand and looking at property ,or rental units.
Should be there now _30 here ,but things to take care here first,
I bet you miss the north!!!!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If the body style is the same as the 2012 then I would not purchase if the vehicle sets outside in winter weather. I have never had a vehicle that is so prone to the windows and doors freezing. It takes very little precipitation overnight and coupled with temps that then dip below freezing to prevent the windows from going down the next morning and doors sticking/frozen shut.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts