Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Ford Explorer and am gathering information on engines. I would appreciate the input from anyone who has a 2013 or 2014 with the 3.5 liter Ecoboost engine, especially relating to what you are seeing in fuel economy. What is it really like from those who honestly use the vehicle every day?

Thanks!

·
Registered
163 Posts
A friend with the F150 pickup tells me he gets around 22 mpg most times. Normal driving, not towing.

Less with all town driving.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Bobby keep in mind when you and your boat anchor Kolars are in it the weight will make a difference from the average guys results. On second thought you will need the added torque and towing capacity of the Ecoboost regardless of the mileage.

·
Registered
12,407 Posts
Friends around here with them get good mileage(open road) when empty, Towing most get only around 8 MPG!!!!

Yes they'll tow, but WOW what a joke!!

My hunting buddy's wife has a Dodge hemi that out preforms his F150 big time, towing and MPG's!

As soon as his lease is up he is going back to a Dodge diesel.

Buy one as long as you don't intend to tow much or carry any weight around.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok guys and gals, I don't want to sound critical but read the title of the thread. No where do I mention F150 in the title. I am looking for information on the Ecoboost in a Ford Explorer. Just honest and real fuel economy or lack thereof.

And as for BAD 303? Why would I care what an out of work delivery boy with bad knees thinks? You are obviously suffering from recoil induced dementia from those Beretta corn shellers you shoot.

Please folks, I appreciate your input but let's keep on topic please.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm a rural Ford dealer and have a few of the Explorer Sports out there. I know MPGs are important, but most of my customers buying a twin turbo charged sport vehicle are more interested in acceleration performance instead of MPG performance. With that said, it really depends on the driver. Theoretically if you don't stick your foot in it and spin up the turbos it should get the same as a 3.5 without ecoboost. My wife demos a Explorer 3.5L Limited and she gets 17 city and 23 hwy. Hope this helps.

(jake boy...I'm curious of your "stay away from ecoboost" comment. PM me your experience so we don't muddy up this topic)

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
There are several comments that I don't agree with but they are all concerning the F150. I drive F150's with Ecoboost and they outperform any other brand gas truck and I've pretty much tried them all. My brother has a fleet of several hundred pickups and have used only Fords for years and last year bought 10 V8 Dodges and they are anxious to get rid of them and back into their Fords. As for as the Ecoboost for longevity I drove one Friday that was traded in and it had 247,750 miles on it and had no engine problems and still ran like crazy. I drive quite a few and get 17 to 19 city and highway driving and have gotten 24MPG on the interstate at 65MPH. As for trailer pulling I haven't pulled a big trailer, just a 7 by 16 car hauler and hardly felt it back there. Still got over 15 MPG. Jackie B.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts