Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a Ford 460 complete motor and trans for a project car I was gonna work on. Don't have enough time in the foreseeable future and getting rid of it all. Didn't know if anyone on here had an interest before I just scrap it, btw I live in Michigan.

Thanks for reading, Darryl Hayes

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
man I wish I was closer...I'd love to do a nice old 50 Merc leadsled with that motor built with SCJ speed parts and a set of Lake pipes

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Butch, things are pretty good. Just waiting for this weather to break to start shooting and fishing again. How are things going your way?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Darryl, how much to ship to the "Left" coast? LOL I have a '57 F100 that could use an up-grade. My '91 F250 give me a pretty consent 11-12 MPH.
Norman

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Norman, not sure but I'll check into today. FYI, the motor came out of a 1979 Lincoln Mark V, 60 k on motor before it was pulled out.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Those are bad azz motors if they have the dove heads and are rebuilt by a guy who knows the motors. You can't beat cubic inches for power. Had one rebuilt and installed it in a 77 f 250 factory high boy and it would try to tear the truck up. The thing was a beast and could not get stuck no matter how you tried.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I'm not a Ford guy but doesn't matter if it's GM, Ford or Mopar:

"There is no replacement for displacement"

Always loved those big Cube Motors. They just have that sound and the torque is crazy.

·
Registered
25,281 Posts
Wish you were local.

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
I wish he was local too Brian...wouldnt it give the diehard Chevy guys a headache if i were to drop that monster in my C4 Vette??

·
Registered
25,281 Posts
LOL, yup.

If I had it, I'd be looking for something like a beater Pinto or Mustang II to drop it in for a bracket racer. It's amazing what a stock 460 will do in a light car.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
There is a substitute for cubic inches, its called a air compressor. The new indy engine specs. are 2.4L (146 cu. in.) running 45-55 psi turbo will pump out 700 ponies. Thats a little 4 banger.

·
Supporting Vendor
10,142 Posts
As far as the Big Blocks go, the Bow ties and Mopar ruled (well, as far as the small blocks go too I guess). You can make the Ford go-go, but it'll cost you, but speed is just a question of money.

The first thing that I would do to a 460 is replace the timing gear deal and advance the timing. Then if money allows, cam it up, put a good intake and carb on there, boost up the compression, port the heads, put hookers on there and then you got something....maybe.

The C-6 tranny is pretty good....comparable with GM's turbo 400.

OH, and I'm pretty sure that the standard issue on the 79 Mark was a 400 Modified, not the 460.

JMHO

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Joe, I believe you are correct. The Cartier, and Bill Blass editions that I know of came standard with the 460.

Western, that is a beauty! What kind of numbers does that baby do?

·
Supporting Vendor
10,142 Posts
Western Shooter is actually the Green Hornet. I can see the Black Beauty parked behind his Cobra.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I still have another Cartier series Mark V that I'm working on. Was gonna find a mustang body and put this other motor in but the wife aint buying 2 project cars. Hate to move it but too many toys piling up right now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.