Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remington 788 chambered in 223, 24" barrel, 4 clips/magazines, barrel has been glass bedded, stock is great, has Redfield 1 piece scope base, bluing is 95%, has sling studs, great varmint gun. $535.00 + shipping

·
Registered
16,612 Posts
A true anachronism in the annals of firearms. Remington set out to make an inexpensive rifle for Montgomery Wards, Gamble stores, and the like.

They used piss elm clubs for the stocks, and put the lugs in the back of the bolt for easier machining.

And the damn things are unreal. Never saw one that didn't shoot good. Now they are a prized cult gun.

I still don't understand why they didn't follow up with a line based on that action.

HM

·
Banned
2,758 Posts
I have 2 in 222. One is a truck gun. One hole groups at 100 yds. Only thing I did was put a Timney trigger in it. The other one is unfired.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
My favorite 788 is my 30-30Win...with neck sized only brass and carefully worked up handloads and 125 Noslers it is a whitetails worst nightmare out nearly as far as any 308Win with 150s,..got a good old Weaver K4 scope on mine that has Ted Williams name on it from Sears,..my dad spent a whopping $119 on the whole outfit

·
Registered
714 Posts
I can vouch for the accuracy of 788 in .223 24". Mine unaltered is 1/2" 5sh. with anything through it. Many are purchased for the actions only. Bob

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've got an oldie but goodie that will consistently shoot three rounds into one ragged hole at 100 yards no matter what you feed it. I gave $120 for it brand new.

John

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have two 788"s in 22-250 and have busted many a coyote over the years with them. They'll shoot a 1/2" group with factory ammo,,or a single ragged hole with good reloads. Tho I have many other varmit guns,,,these are the ones I go to 90% of the time.
A few years back I was out coyote hunting with a friend, and when we got back to the truck carring a couple yotes,,, I found out I had somehow lost my clip. Man,,,,I was not leaving without that clip. I retraced my steps back till I finnaly found it laying on the ground. Took me nearly two hours of good hunting time,,,but I wasn't leaving it out there. New clips are hard to find!!
Dave ( 90T )

·
Registered
489 Posts
Lots of good comments. Someone should buy this rifle so Duane can come see me and go hunting. Good luck with it DE..

Rogerrrrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just to keep this fine rifle alive----

I decided to "Spoterize" a Brit .303 military rifle---Bishop Butt,modified military forearm--aftermarket scope rail(no drilling required)--Savage scope,-- Gun+scope+mount+stock+ labor= 250.00
The next day after completing my labor of love,I took it to work to show a parttime gun dealing friend of mine------after being NICE,he said "let me show you something"----out of the box came a R-788 in .243,complete with mounts and rings and Weaver 4 power scope-----------everything for sale at under 100.00--(well heck yes I bought it)--some 35 years later,I sold it for 600.00

tallend

P.S. I still have a 788 in 222------------not for sale

1 - 18 of 18 Posts