Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in trading my Krieghoff K-80 Standard Scroll receiver and iron for the older Lightweight version that was once manufactured. My receiver was at Krieghoff for annual service last month and has not been shot since. Hammers, pivot pins, top lever spring rod, springs, etc, were all replaced.

IMG_8548.jpg
IMG_8549.jpg
IMG_8559.jpg

Interested in trading for a upgraded scroll Lightweight similar to below:

Lightweight.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
good luck finding one. I got mine on here a year or two ago. It is newer (2013) and I love it, it's almost a pound lighter, w/ my carrier barrels it weighs just about 8# even. Jack

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should go great with my 28” and 32” Parcours barrels! Krieghoff did however warn me that they have a much shorter shelf life since they are alloy and will eventually crack depending on use and shell type? Have you ever seen any upgraded Lightweight engravings?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I saw a Highly engraved LW that Larry Woo had at Wings and Clays, years ago like a Monte Carlo with no inlays. Beautiful.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I have not, didn't even realize they existed until shortly before I found mine. I have often thought how nice an engraved one would be. I shoot sub-gauge with mine and see no signs of wear, but I guess by the time you see a crack It'll be too late. I too have talked to Krieghoff USA about longevity and was left with the impression that if you are not Kim Rhode or the like, they hold up quite well. The stress between the breach face and the pivot trunnions could cause "stretch" over time, but I'm willing to see how that plays out. Again, good luck with your hunt and be sure to let us know how it shoots and of course what it weighs. Jack
p.s. the reduced weight of the receiver does not seem to change the balance of the gun and I have yet to have anyone realize by looking that it was not a standard steel receiver

·
Premium Member
10,381 Posts
Should go great with my 28” and 32” Parcours barrels! Krieghoff did however warn me that they have a much shorter shelf life since they are alloy and will eventually crack depending on use and shell type? Have you ever seen any upgraded Lightweight engravings?
I have seen seversl Bavaria grade lightweights

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have one but it does not say lightweight on bottom of reciever,my friend hasit now as he borrowed it to shoot last weekend. Glen at Silver Dollar serviced it and said it was a light weight K80. I will have it back this weekend and i can send Pics.

·
Registered
13,791 Posts
Do as you wish, but keep in mind that you are going to lose probably $2k out of the value of your gun on a straight swap, and end up with a gun no dealer will touch if you want to trade it in. Lightweight receivers on K80s are the kiss of death, and most people that know what they are won't touch one with a 10 foot pole. They can and do crack, and they aren't cheap to replace if they do.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I was told by a Krieghoff gunsmith that cracking occurs by allowing the barrels to flop open when opening the gun to eject spent shells. I support the barrels with my left hand when opening so they do not stress the reciever.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Do as you wish, but keep in mind that you are going to lose probably $2k out of the value of your gun on a straight swap, and end up with a gun no dealer will touch if you want to trade it in. Lightweight receivers on K80s are the kiss of death, and most people that know what they are won't touch one with a 10 foot pole. They can and do crack, and they aren't cheap to replace if they do.
I talked to KI about mine and they said that just because they had some crack does not mean they all will. Mine is an earlier model (1988-1990?) and they said if it hasn't cracked by now it probably never will. If it does fail they said they would work out some kind of a deal on a new receiver.

·
Registered
699 Posts
My Daughter has taken mine and loves it. I continue to search for another, in any grade! Good luck with the new one, Jack

·
Registered
62 Posts
In June of 2017 my LW receiver went to Ottsville for service and never returned. Stress cracks were detected. Was given the option of purchasing a standard weight receiver or a new lightweight receiver. The actually had one or two in stock. They have long ago stopped making a LW receiver. I went with the standard receiver. Oh, before anyone asks, it wasn't a free replacement or even a small cost for replacement. I didn't want to sell off the rest of the gun so had the barrel lugs recut to the new receiver and now have a new K80 backup for my Blaser!..

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
In June of 2017 my LW receiver went to Ottsville for service and never returned. Stress cracks were detected. Was given the option of purchasing a standard weight receiver or a new lightweight receiver. The actually had one or two in stock. They have long ago stopped making a LW receiver. I went with the standard receiver. Oh, before anyone asks, it wasn't a free replacement or even a small cost for replacement. I didn't want to sell off the rest of the gun so had the barrel lugs recut to the new receiver and now have a new K80 backup for my Blaser!..
Why don't you just tell us how much credit they gave you for the gun? Shouldn't be a secret?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I had one that cracked. gun never had anything over 1200 fps fired through it and not mistreated in any way. They gave me the option of replacing with a new light weight reciever for $1500.00 with a 20 year warranty or a standard weight for $3,000.00 lifetime warranty. Since this was my wifes gun she wanted to stay with the light weight. That was about 5 years ago.

Buster

1 - 19 of 19 Posts