Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For you guys that have had gun bores altered...and know first hand about such things.

Lets say you have a fixed choke o/u trap gun . Pretty tight factory fixed chokes (.045 top, .o32 bottom).

Would it make much difference to backbore it? (...without changing the end of barrel factory choke bores)

I suppose that backboring would change the choke ratio anyway..wouldn't it?

Should it recoil less...or any of the above?

Just wondering of it would help anything to speak of at all...

Thanks...Stan

·
Registered
685 Posts
hi by backboring the main advantage is to reduce the long shot string. you are probably a good shot. why not put most of the payload up front were the target is. you dont need 8 feet behind it. i shoot a .785 bore with .040 choke. backboring will tighten choke. personaly i like to choke for smoke thnks howard

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I shoot tighter chokes than many, but I thought that .045 was pretty tight already..don't you?

If backboring makes it tighter wouldn't it be too tight?

Briley calls .035 a full, what is .o45 (plus)...? "Waafull"..lol?

Thanks...Stan

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Tom Roster wrote a very authoritative book that deals with the pros and cons of barrel alterations. Tom Roster's bottom line is that of the many barrel alterations that are out theere, most are un-needed and a waste of money. the only alteration that he sees that MAY improve performance is backboring. If you backbore your barrel, you will need to ream the fixed choke to the size that gives you the pattern that you want.

John

·
Registered
148 Posts
Back boring a barrel without altering the chokes would make the already tight chokes tighter, the thousands that you would remove from the barrel would add to the choke restriction, in other words if you removed .020 from the barrel you would have a choke that is .020 tighter than presently.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tom Roster wrote a very authoritative book that deals with the pros and cons of barrel alterations. Tom Roster's bottom line is that of the many barrel alterations that are out theere, most are un-needed and a waste of money. the only alteration that he sees that MAY improve performance is backboring. If you backbore your barrel, you will need to ream the fixed choke to the size that gives you the pattern that you want.

John
That's the $64 dollar question then (I guess ?).

I'm not sure how to determine what choke I would want (...assuming that backboring changes patterns, etc., etc. ...)

For this gun ...all I'm concerned about is the back line...(that seems to be where choke really matters the most, imho).

Those that have done it...how did you decide what choke bore you wanted for the back line ?

Thanks...Stan

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Neil W. tested his .40+ full choke and wasn't pleased with the results when compared to a more open full choke.

My nephew has a KS-5 Special and it's full choke is way too tight for shooting on the concrete! He has to use the mod. marked choke from the 27 and it smokes clays!!

If a tight choke is good, one tighter may be a disaster?

HAP

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
The first production back bored barrels came Remington's model 31 pumps which were in the realm of .735/.739 creating quite a sensation with they way they patterned in the 1930's with carded shot shells Remington repeated this barrel choke combination years later on their 870 Comp and again on there 1100 and 870. I think the chokes were .38

If you have a fixed choke barrel back bored by a barrel smith, I would think a conversation between the both of you would be about what you're looking for by way patterns at a specific yardage. I think this conversation would not be so much about constriction but the patterns you desire.

Surfer

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
My Wilkenson back bored and re-choked K-80 barrel broke every Singles target thrown at the PA State Shoot a number of years ago. Of course, I wasn't shooting it at the time!!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Actually Neil was not happy with his out of the box p-gun performance, he sent it to Tom and the results were extremely good! I have had issues with the later P guns, not so with the old, that said, a great many All-Americans pay to have their barrels tuned by a good barrel smith, the before and after performance is very noticeable! You may be lucky with the performance of your existing gun, if not it can be enhanced. incinerate em!

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
you dont need 8 feet behind it
Assuming a very short 8 foot shot string, the last pellet in the string would pass through the target before the target travels an inch. In effect, as it goes through the target so fast, there really is no practical difference between the front and back of the shot string.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
You know what they say about opinions.

First question: Why do you think you need barrel work? If you don't know how your barrel is performing now, you don't know if you need barrel work, do you?

Second question: How will you know if the barrel work made things better, worse, or had no change?

To the folks who claim backboring shortens the shot string....how do you know?

(For what it's worth, I have a factory Zoli fixed choke barrel, with a 0.728 bore and a 0.686 choke. That's 0.042 choke. At 5300 feet elevation on a 42 F clear day it shot 86% patterns with one ounce RC2 cartridges. I'm not touching this barrel. I like it as it is.)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Same questions I asked ..more or less.

Would it make a difference ..was my exact question.

I don't really think I do or don't need barrel work....but I do know what it is doing now. Tight pattern and has more recoil than a Invector plus barrel. (.. the Inv. plus heavier barrel is partly responsible for that...but they are backbored too. Does that contribute much?).

Would backboring make a difference on this barrel....? .....is referring to what we all like, which is less recoil and better patterns ....and all the better if it can be done with a lighter gun, imho (...and from the max handicap distance particularly).

Is backboring anything that consistently makes the more difficult part of Trap easier to most shooters? (...again referring to handicap targets specifically ).

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
The answer: There's no magic silver bullet. Period.

Does backboring reduce recoil? Only if it causes the same shells you were using before to have a lower muzzle velocity. Otherwise, no.

If you like your patterns now, leave the barrel alone.

Reactions: RickN

·
Registered
860 Posts
Bob Brister wrote an interesting book some time ago and he pulled a long paper of some kind behind a pick up, I think, to measure shot string and he came up with a noticeable difference in shot performance with backboring. Will dig that book out and reread that part. Waste of money the way I shoot anymore.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Back boring the barrel increases recoil. The reason being the weight of the gun has decreased.
Do you believe that? I don't. HMB

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The answer: There's no magic silver bullet. Period.

Does backboring reduce recoil? Only if it causes the same shells you were using before to have a lower muzzle velocity. Otherwise, no.

If you like your patterns now, leave the barrel alone.
I like that ..no magic bullet..lol!

Kinda my thoughts too...but I see "many" $$$ spent by trap shooters on barrel mods. Thought I might be missing something...

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Then a question would be why do Remington model 31's throw such great patterns along with later Remington guns with same barrel dimensions? I've owned several guns with back bored barrels mainly Perazzi's and believe they shot softer and pattern with a tighter core as proved on paper.

People have talked about the shot string and have since I began shooting 60 or years ago, I never bought the concept then and I don't now. I dribbled shot out of shells from 1-1/8 to 1-3/8 on the ground which is a single dimeson and ran out of shot long before any eight feet, try it and you'll see what I mean. Shoot a few rounds off a bridge higher than a 100ft. straight down onto water also a single dimension and see what the pattern looks like.

I do believe there is a shot cloud that looks more like a potato changing shape as it pulses towards the target and this has proven to be so via high speed film. I yet to see film of the shot string, a comets tail stretching out five, six ,eight or ten feet and more as others would try have me believe. More and more of these old wife's tails are being dispelled through technology.

Do I know for certain back boring fulfills all the claims, no. But I know one thing for certain, if you mentally think it does and helps improve your scores then it does and that's all that counts. Barrel work along with recoil reduction devices, higher ribs are just one more tool in the shooters tool bag to help improve scores.

Remember the game is 90% mental, thinking believing, visualizing and 10% mechanics.

Surfer

1 - 20 of 36 Posts