Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this can from my Pa, unexpected to say the least.

Question is, what year or years did they have this can? the bottom of the can is in perfect condition. That's a shadow off the camera.

Rick in MT

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
IMR is Du Pont. I'm going to guess this can is from '81. I didn't start loading metallic cartridges before 82. 4064 is the choice for accuracy for the .308 with an 168 gr. bullet out of a M1A for 600 yds on in. At least it is what my mentor loaded. And judging form his results and mine I've not even tried another. I sure miss the time we spent together shooting. And the match M1A he left me is by far the most cherished firearm I own.

Darr

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eddie, that's what I was going to put it in. 220 Swift.

Thanks gentlemen.

Rick in MT

shoot well and have fun.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eddie, no reason to push them that fast. They work fine in the 36 to 37 range.

Model 70 huh? Friend of mine had a target model 70 that he sold to a fella, and it never made the trip. He still wonders where it ended up. LOL Huge barrel on that one. Wouldn't want to pack it around too far.

Rick in MT

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I started reloading shotshell and metallic cartridges in the mid60s and that can of 4064 doesn't look familiar.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Look for the lot number on the can. It may look something like E99SE16. Worked for Dupont during the 80's and 90's. The code translated means that the powder was packaged in the plant code (E) on 9-16-1999. If that date code was in use at that time, there will also another series of 4-6 letters and/or numbers that indicate the actual last digits of the batch card used to manufacture the powder. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I guess that it was way before my time. With the system that I was familiar with, a knowing person could tell in an instant where and to the exact day that a product was packaged. Sorry that it didn't work.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No problem. Pa is just about to turn 87, so it could be 50 years old easy.

Thanks to everyone that took time.

Rick in MT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts