Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older 682 that I picked up, (for the son-in-law to shoot)

The first time out, had a couple of misfires with new shells. (estates)

so, took it to the local Smith and he put in a heavier spring and cleaned it good.

Took it out again, and a couple more. Tried some of my reloads, (AA primers) and nothing.

Is it just the rounded Fed primer? Is there anyone else out there, with the same problem? And what did you do about it?

Rick in MT

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
i see more than a few folks having trouble with estates every week end,i have had a few my self. in my 682 and my 1100. joseph

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
If the pin worn Rick? I shoot estates all the time and haven't had a problem yet.

Take it back to the smith and have him/her swap firing pins.

Brady

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Last year I shot 4 flats of Estates through my 682 with no problems. Something has to be wrong with your gun. I'd have a good gunsmith examine it. Ed

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
What spring did he put in it? When I was having problems with misfires, all I needed to do was replace the main spring of the barrel I was using..instant cure.

Regards,

Chip

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chip He went with a stronger spring on the firing pins.

thanks for all the replies.

Rick in MT

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Rick,

I would go to colegun.com and search main spring, and you'll come up with a $37 part called a main spring assembly. Simply take your stock off, grab the front of the hammer spring guide (the long pin) with a needlenose, and depress the spring and take it off. Reverse the process to insert the new one.

When I change them I keep my old hammer spring guide and just buy the hammer spring, hammer spring guide bushing and hammer spring guide nut and it saves me $20 because I'm a cheap bastard. If you're mechanically inclined, this shouldn't be an issue, if not, spend the extra $20 and get the assembled part.

I understand that it can be other things, but I have had this happen several times to me and this always cured it in my gun.

Regards,

Chip

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Two thoughts.

First is that dirt has built up on the back of the action face (inside) where the firing pin shoulders touch - this will essentially make the pins 'shorter.' Often missed when cleaning a gun because it is a pain to get to.

Second would be some 're-shaping' of the pins - either at the tip, or on the shoulders which prevents them from reaching as far out as the should.

Either is an easy fix once located.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If I was trying to soft close the gun (holding the tang open while closing) I would get misfires. The primer would be slightly dented but would fire next time if I closed the gun normally.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a 680 that doesn't like Fiocchi primers. I had the hammer spring replaced and still had failures. Went back to using Cheddites and no more problems.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Hard to think that it's the gun, if it is in good working order. Leo shot a Beretta 682 for a number of years (using both Federal and other shells) and never had a problem.He always said you should use the best shell you can when in competition, in practice shoot whatever.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I work on a lot of Berettas, and have shot the Estate shells for years with no misfires. Your gun needs a new hammer spring, and possibly a new firing pin. I just took care of that same problem for a friend.

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Make sure you fully open the gun. Don't stop when the ejectors pop, but continue opening until it is fully and completely open, which may be just a few degrees.

If you don't have perfect timing on the ejectors they can pop before the hammer is fully cocked.

But Skeetman says it better in an earlier reply to me at the link above. It seems Skeetman was correct.

·
Registered
14,673 Posts
trapwife, I'm sure since Leo was "Leo", Beretta probably changed all his springs, firing pins, and cleaned everything else before it left the building.

In a year, how often did he drop it off to Beretta?

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
What SevenMary said..new strong springs do no good if the hammer isn't driving the pin out far enough..Estates have hard primers but not that hard

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not ignoring all you fine folks, Took the son-in-law out Saturday and let him shoot some. I thought it was the primers until he had problems with my reloads.
Then I gave him some heads up on opening the gun and after that he didn't have any problems. Not to say he is cured. It was only one box.

Wait and see.

Thanks to all of you that took time to respond, and not one person told me to shoot a Browning and I won't have any more problems. Amazing, there is hope.

Shoot well and have fun.

Hope some of you can make the Montana State Shoot

1 - 20 of 20 Posts