Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve heard some people claim that the gun shops are marking up their ammo more than ever and price gouging.

Some round numbers just for example that maybe give you a different perspective-

If a gun shops normal operation was 100 boxes of ammo sold per day and their mark up was $1, they would be making $100 per day on ammo.
Ammo shortages have limited supply. The same gun shop now only has enough ammo to be able to sell 50 boxes per day. They would now need a $2 mark up to make $100 per day. Can you blame them for the extra mark up? We all want our local gun shop to stay in business. I’m not saying be foolish and go find your most expensive ammo and buy it all… But if you do, maybe then they could lower their price on the cheap stuff for me to go in and buy up 🤣. Enjoy your shooting. I hope you enjoyed the thought or at least the punch line and maybe even got the gears spinning. I’m sure some are price gouging, but some are probably acting out of necessity

·
Registered
830 Posts
I’ve heard some people claim that the gun shops are marking up their ammo more than ever and price gouging.

Some round numbers just for example that maybe give you a different perspective-

If a gun shops normal operation was 100 boxes of ammo sold per day and their mark up was $1, they would be making $100 per day on ammo.
Ammo shortages have limited supply. The same gun shop now only has enough ammo to be able to sell 50 boxes per day. They would now need a $2 mark up to make $100 per day. Can you blame them for the extra mark up? We all want our local gun shop to stay in business. I’m not saying be foolish and go find your most expensive ammo and buy it all… But if you do, maybe then they could lower their price on the cheap stuff for me to go in and buy up 🤣. Enjoy your shooting. I hope you enjoyed the thought or at least the punch line and maybe even got the gears spinning. I’m sure some are price gouging, but some are probably acting out of necessity
I agree totally with you. I look back and think if I were still in business and had the same fixed costs how much would I have to charge for what little product I could get with the shortages and still pay the bills to remain open or just close the doors and go on welfare. .

·
Premium Member
13,881 Posts

I was talking to my friend who owns a local gun shop.

He stated that there is growing availability on ammo (finally) but that the wholesale price is close to double what it used to be (thank you Brandon and your supply chain). He strives to keep his prices low, but to be where they were before all of this he would be loosing money with every box sold.

What he used to sell for $14.95 a box now sells for $19.95 - and he is making less on each box that goes out the door.

His hope is that the wholesale prices will eventually drop... I'm not holding my breath.

EDIT - talking about all types of ammo - not shot shells specifically.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Correct - I spent it all on ammo and components a few years ago.
I don't spend all my money on powder, shot, primers, dogs and guns. Or fine food & drink and the ladies. I try to save a little to spend foolishly.

And am well stocked because of it. But I'm gong to need some more shot at some point to get through the winter reloading period. And lead is the most expensive cost, but will pay to play.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't spend all my money on powder, shot, primers, dogs and guns. Or fine food & drink and the ladies. I try to save a little to spend foolishly.

And am well stocked because of it. But I'm gong to need some more shot at some point to get through the winter reloading period. And lead is the most expensive cost, but will pay to play.
Might be cheaper to schedule an x-ray and steel the blanket they put over you.

·
Registered
25,664 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have an FFL and we buy ammo in bulk. Last year I could get Federal Top Gun for $62/flat, 100 flats/pallet, $340 shipping. $6540/pallet or $64.50/flat my cost. Now I'm paying $76/flat when I can find it. When I do find it I'm usually limited to buying 10 flats or less. Because it's not pallets I'm having to pay UPS or FedEx to ship it. Usually at a cost of $15/flat. New cost to put it on the shelf, $91.

Cabelas is selling that same flat for $95 when the have them. Walmart is selling Super Targets for $7.50 a box when they have them. It's cheaper for me to buy from Walmart than it is to stock my own shelves. Both of those companies have more on order in a week than I do in a lifetime. On line sellers place huge orders as well. Your local shop is trying to keep his door open. Local shops are being squeezed out. Along with that local availability and control are also going away.

·
Premium Member
6,445 Posts
I have an FFL and we buy ammo in bulk. Last year I could get Federal Top Gun for $62/flat, 100 flats/pallet, $340 shipping. $6540/pallet or $64.50/flat my cost. Now I'm paying $76/flat when I can find it. When I do find it I'm usually limited to buying 10 flats or less. Because it's not pallets I'm having to pay UPS or FedEx to ship it. Usually at a cost of $15/flat. New cost to put it on the shelf, $91.

Cabelas is selling that same flat for $95 when the have them. Walmart is selling Super Targets for $7.50 a box when they have them. It's cheaper for me to buy from Walmart than it is to stock my own shelves. Both of those companies have more on order in a week than I do in a lifetime. On line sellers place huge orders as well. Your local shop is trying to keep his door open. Local shops are being squeezed out. Along with that local availability and control are also going away.
Stop using my FFL years ago. Was becoming a pain.
Steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts