Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a folding cart, primarily for use when lugging gear around the sporting clay courses. Of course, the Rugged Gear cart is number one, except for the size. I only have about 12 inches of height in my trunk (2002 Vette convertible). The Rugged Gear folds down to a little over 16 inches in its smallest dimension and fits fine in our other car. I like my Chevy volt around town, but I'd prefer to drive the Corvette when I hit the road..

As an alternative to Rugged Gear I've looked at the Mac Sports Collapsible Folding Utility Wagon. It folds to about 8 inches and is simply a pull wagon. The shotguns wouldn't fit without adding appropriate brackets, but that seems a simple task.

Does anyone have experience using this kind of wagon for sporting clays? My initial concern is about the durability of the wheels. They are probably fine for hauling across the parking lot but I'm concerned that they may not be sturdy enough to traverse a course outside.

Larry J. Frieders

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
I made a sporting clays cart out of a folding Sun Mountain golf push cart. It folds up very compact. I took the bag holder off, build a rack for shells and added a couple of ATV gun holders. I got the idea from this guy:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=143146&start=20

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Look up "Tipke Fold it Cart" They have 20" pneumatic tires and pull easy over rough fields. High Power rifle competitors have been using them for years, And they hold up. Mine is over 15 years old.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I bought one of the carts like the pic shown for going to the outdoor market. Other than folding up easy I HATE it. POS. I doesn't pull or track worth a darn and unstable.
There is a reason the Rugged gear design is the most popular.

·
Banned
4 Posts
I had one of those convertible hand truck/carts and it got swiped out of the back of my car when I left the trunk open and was walking up to an apartment complex. Made me so mad!

People suck sometimes. Now I use paper bags and collapsible crates. Nearly every order I do can fit into five paper bags and two crates. Milk/12-packs/etc I can put in a cooler bag and just carry it up with a crate.

I bought my hand truck on amazon with gift cards I got by using Fetch Rewards, scanning store receipts.

·
Administrator
8,524 Posts
I had one of those convertible hand truck/carts and it got swiped out of the back of my car when I left the trunk open and was walking up to an apartment complex. Made me so mad!

People suck sometimes. Now I use paper bags and collapsible crates. Nearly every order I do can fit into five paper bags and two crates. Milk/12-packs/etc I can put in a cooler bag and just carry it up with a crate.

I bought my hand truck on amazon with gift cards I got by using Fetch Rewards, scanning store receipts.
Im thinking you do not have a clue what the OP is asking about on this thread. DO you really think the OP is going to transport his shooting gear around a sporting clays course in paper bags and fold up crates..........???? or a hand truck???:lame:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I made a sporting clays cart out of a folding Sun Mountain golf push cart. It folds up very compact. I took the bag holder off, build a rack for shells and added a couple of ATV gun holders. I got the idea from this guy:

Shotgunworld.com • Which Push Cart?
Saw one like this at the club last week. I thought it looked pretty neat and would work great. Halfway through our round, turned around and it had tipped over. Obviously, likely had a weight issue (top/side heavy) but it looked far less attractive after seeing it tip!

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
Saw one like this at the club last week. I thought it looked pretty neat and would work great. Halfway through our round, turned around and it had tipped over. Obviously, likely had a weight issue (top/side heavy) but it looked far less attractive after seeing it tip!
That post was in 2014. Seems like just yesterday I was building that thing. So, now I have ~6 years of experience with it. I can faithfully say I have never experienced any issue of it tipping over. The back wheels are far enough apart and back far enough the cart is well stabilized. Mine has racks for 2 guns oriented left and right of the rack for the ammo. Instead of laying the boxes on their backs, I stack them up on their bottoms such that I can fit twice as much ammo as the one in the pic. Plus, mine is blue, not yellow.

One feature I added was a couple of eye bolts to hold a dowel rod for removing stuck wads (not mine, usually one of my cohorts who just can't seem to get the hang of reloading).

I will also say I like the design of this better than the others I see on the course that look more like converted baby carriages. The golf cart just seems more "sporty" than the baby carriage version. I'll go out and take a pic of mine loaded with some ammunition loaded, when the sun comes back out. But, I use it every time I shoot clays which, during this time of year, is every weekend. It gets lots of use and the only maintenance is keeping the tires pumped up and the bolts that hold the ammo and gun racks tightened.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I made 2 different ones out of those Golf carts like in Post # 16 . I made the base way larger out of black waterproofed plywood for AMMO and the muzzle rest .They are not top heavy and easy to make ,even the supports for the Gunstocks on top. The bag on it is a good idea ,I dont need it for empties but for an extra jacket or glases etc.

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
I made 2 different ones out of those Golf carts like in Post # 16 . I made the base way larger out of black waterproofed plywood for AMMO and the muzzle rest .They are not top heavy and easy to make ,even the supports for the Gunstocks on top. The bag on it is a good idea ,I dont need it for empties but for an extra jacket or glases etc.
I made the base for the muzzle rest out of a piece of sheet metal covered with neoprene. The bottom box of ammo rests of the base of the ammo rack. Almost everything came from the Home Depot. The ATV gun holders came from Amazon.com. I added the bag to hold empty hulls because I reload. I got the golf cart off of Craigslist. The handle has a compartment that conveniently holds a couple of cigars and a cutter; I added some velcro to the lid of the compartment to hold it shut so stuff wouldn't fall out when I went to put it in the back of the car after folding it up. .

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
I bought a used jogging 3 wheel stroler. Bought and installed a three gun holder at the top fair priced from Rugged gear. total cost with the cart was $100.00 folds and hangs on a hook on the garage wall.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Look up "Tipke Fold it Cart" They have 20" pneumatic tires and pull easy over rough fields. High Power rifle competitors have been using them for years, And they hold up. Mine is over 15 years old.
I think you mean Tippie folding cart. Lew Tippie is great shooter who came up with that design while at AMU.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts