Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never seen a post, and can't seem to find one, on pattern change due to a folded wad petal. I'm a little OCD, if I see it, I fix it. Just wondering if it really matters.

Reactions: Doc!

·
Registered
8,394 Posts
I shoot factory loads and I only know of a cocked wad when shell won’t go in chamber.
No idea on the Docs question but would think the shell crimping would be suspect.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Back when we could shoot, a buddy was having an issue with this. I think it actually caused one to get all caddywhompus, allowing both shot and powder to intermingle, and not detonate properly, got the wad stuck about a third of the way down the barrel and shot on both sides. I'm still not 100% sure what it did, but it was a mess. Lucky the barrel didn't burst. This guy reloads a BUNCH, and is very capable. Maybe I am wrong and it was more of a AA old vs new hull deal plus a wad petal bent over to the side.

Anyway, I believe that if you put the wads in a pillowcase/net bag/etc. and put them in the clothes dryer for a little bit on high heat, it will straighten out the petals. Again, I will have to check on this, a hair dryer might accomplish the same thing. These are just a couple things the guys were talking about doing at the club so take it for what it's worth.

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Depends only which petal is bent down and where you place your pattern on that target.
It's usually on the side, however, if I rotate the hull it can be on the top or bottom. Sometimes the other side.
Does a folded wad work better with 7½ or 8's, light or heavy powder charge?

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
I've never seen a post, and can't seem to find one, on pattern change due to a folded wad petal
If I recall correctly, this is something Neil pondered, and may have even been considering a test. As far as I know, he never got around to it, though.

Reactions: Charlie Becknell

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Last year when I was loading a bulky load of Green Dot in AA-HS hulls with WAA-12's I did have wad petals folded over the top due to bad stack height. Nebs helped me through that (thanks yet again, Nebs!) and a wad change fixed it. I did manage to pattern some of the folded ones, then some correct ones later. There was no perceptible (At least by me) difference; POI was different because I added some more washers, but that's it. Now if you're talking wad petal folded under the shot, your guess is as good as mine.

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How often does this phenomenon occur? Does it depend on the wad type (4-petal vs. 8-petal), the type of reloader, something else?
That's the sixty four dollar question. If I see, it doesn't get to stay folded. I'm sure I miss some ,( based my current shooting performance, I miss a lot), may be why I'm struggling.

Reactions: machine121

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
That's the sixty four dollar question. If I see, it doesn't get to stay folded. I'm sure I miss some ,( based my current shooting performance, I miss a lot), may be why I'm struggling.
I would look into the reason you are getting folded wad petals. That's Abby Normal.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Last year when I was loading a bulky load of Green Dot in AA-HS hulls with WAA-12's I did have wad petals folded over the top due to bad stack height. Nebs helped me through that (thanks yet again, Nebs!) and a wad change fixed it. I did manage to pattern some of the folded ones, then some correct ones later. There was no perceptible (At least by me) difference; POI was different because I added some more washers, but that's it. Now if you're talking wad petal folded under the shot, your guess is as good as mine.
I have experienced shooting with a folded wad petal and, to my knowledge, it DOES affect the pattern. I was spot on the target and missed it. Probably because of the irregular pattern it produced.

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have experienced shooting with a folded wad petal and, to my knowledge, it DOES affect the pattern. I was spot on the target and missed it. Probably because of the irregular pattern it produced.
Oh my goodness, this certainly explains a lot. I must be getting this quite a bit, and never realized why I miss so much. However, I suspect that this malady has also crept into factory shells because I still miss with new Remington and Winchester shells.
Thanks for your insight, i now see this is the etiology of my failures to break targets.

Reactions: machine121

·
Registered
292 Posts
Oh my goodness, this certainly explains a lot. I must be getting this quite a bit, and never realized why I miss so much. However, I suspect that this malady has also crept into factory shells because I still miss with new Remington and Winchester shells.
Thanks for your insight, i now see this is the etiology of my failures to break targets.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts