Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has a hard time with fogging glasses. We have tried a few cheaper pair of glasses (shooting glasses and safety glasses) with not much difference. I think the problem is the glasses are so close to his face that they will not breathe, and stay clear. Going to try anti fog once it gets warmer. Any other suggestions?
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Get some Cat Crap. Not from the litter box, Walmart vision centers have it. The spray is more convenient, but the solid form lasts long. You rub it on, let it dry, and buff onto the lens.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I used to have a military surplus anti fog cloth that I carried with my ski equipment, it worked very good.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
When I played hockey we would use shampoo or soap to keep our visors from fogging. Wipe it on, let it dry, then buff it off.

·
Registered
271 Posts
What kind of hat is he wearing?

I've worn glasses for about 60 out of 65 years.

Reactions: Leo

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
What kind of hat is he wearing?

I've worn glasses for about 60 out of 65 years.
Just a regular fitted ball cap. He is just super warm blooded. Healthy kid just sweats doing about anything even in the winter!
Tried without hat also but then the sweet seems to get in his eyes. He does get bye just looking for some suggestions.
Thanks for all the ideas so far

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Get him a pair of Decot or Randolph Ranger glasses. Stay away from the wraparound type of frame. It’s always been hard to get new shooters to spend money on a set of good glasses. Especially if they need corrective lenses. I ran my first 25 straight on my first round wearing a new set of Decots. Would I have run them without the glasses? I very much doubt it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A couple of guys that work for me bought some off Amazon, they wear them all day. They say they work well and were relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just a regular fitted ball cap. He is just super warm blooded. Healthy kid just sweats doing about anything even in the winter!
Tried without hat also but then the sweet seems to get in his eyes. He does get bye just looking for some suggestions.
Thanks for all the ideas so far
Air HAS GOT to move behind those glasses between the glass and his eye. NOTHING else will keep them from fogging up completely. I have to near trim my eye brows completely to keep the exact corner of my right lense where I aim down a rifle barrel from fogging up INSTANTLY in cold weather. It will go from completely clear, to fog, in seconds sometimes while I'm getting in position to shoot for a deer. I KNOW the aggravation. The older my glasses get, the more the nose pieces get weak and the easier the glass keeps moving toward my moist eye and more opportunity to stop air movement and instant fog.

I too wear ball caps a lot, to keep drizzle and rain off my glasses when shooting or hunting, BUT that brim must fit so it is above those eye brows. The lower it gets, quicker to fog. Any kind of those knitted or tobogans that look so warm, they will get up to the sides and block the free movement of ventilation.

There is a wax looking cleaner for SCUBA masks you can get at a dive shop and use it to clean glasses. It helps but it don't cure.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Shaving cream rubbed in and buffed dry apparently works also. Saw a video on YouTube... But, airflow behind is the key as stated above. I've had good luck with both Decot and Randolph Rangers.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I live in a very high humidity and hot part of the country Coastal Alabama. And I can tell you Decots do not fog up, ever. At least they never have for me. Not cheap, but the best. I've been wearing them for 45 years of shooting Trap.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did buy some used Decot hy-wyd. But they were too large for him. (I am trying to figure out what mm they actually are). He shot a round of 50 and knocked out the lens one time and could not get his head were he wanted it. Put his other pair on he had been using and was back on track. I probably need the smallest mm they make but want to confirm what I have right now prior to buying another pair.

At least now we have some other options to work with if he can not make the Decots work.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Ranger Edge are the best for those conditions... The nose bridge is adjustable so you can get extra clearance and align the center of the lens to the center of your eye. The make 63mm, 67mm and 69mm that will fit most any size face. Call Jordan at Fox River Shooting Sports, he does hundreds of Rangers for youth athletes. https://foxrivershootingsports.com/

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Kleer Vu cleaner/anti-fog works for me.
I have a low nose bridge so my Ranger glasses sit fairly close to my eyes.

Jason

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Plain old dish soap is all you need. rub a small amount on the lens and buff it out with a soft cloth . I do also carry a small tub of cat crap in my hunting pack so I don't miss the chance at a good buck when the opportunity arises !

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He has been using the cat crap and it seems to be working. Thanks everyone for all the tips and tricks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts