18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between a foderal 209 and 209a besides the A
Thank you for your help
Dale t

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
hotter back down charge by 5%,P.S. do not use in a Perazzi will close up firing pin hole in time....vdt

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VDT
So when I use the new data I should load up 5%. I have 5000 from way back so must use them.
Dale T

·
Registered
321 Posts
The Federal 209A is probably the hottest primer out there. If anythink, I would use LESS powder unless you have a recipe that specifically calls for it.

What kind of components are you using?

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
I have had great luck with the 209A since it came out. I have recently swapped over to the Rio which is not available in all areas. Hot primers give good cold weather performance, and work well with hard to ignite powders. They generally take less powder to deliver the same velocities as milder primers, which often give cold weather performance problems.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I am done with Fed 209A's, they do not seat flush in Remington STS or Nitro's. I had some problems last week with them not seating, to the point where they caught on the reloader (9000G)and would not index after the shell had been primed. Even the ones that seated, when you run your finger across, you can feel the lip. When loaded in a AA, there is no problem. Win 209's no problem. anyone else have this issue? FYI, I also readjusted the seating etc. made no difference. I even extracted (carefully) the "bad" primers and they went right into the AA's without a problem.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
dale T, I'd be interested in trading you 2000 Fed 209A's for 2000 of your 209 or any brand you prefer. Let me know if interested.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Frank C.

Have had the same problem using 209A in STS hull. Don't know why but happens every time I load STSs although not every hull but fequently enough to be a pain.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
I've loaded nothing but Federal 209As in STS hulls for several years. Yes, I suppose you can feel a very slightly "proud" fit in the shell, but it's never caused any problems with my 9000GN or any of the many guns in which those shells have been used.

Ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.