Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned this rifle in another thread regarding suitable ammo for M1 Garand. Lot of people are unfamiliar with this rifle as it came into production after WWII, even though it was under development during the war. This video I have linked, compares the FN49 to the Garand . This gun is supposed to have been designed by the same person who designed the Browning HiPower.

There are many other videos about the FN49 and interesting is it came in more than one rifle caliber. While is a military rifle, I am not sure it is eligible for any military matches because I do not think it was ever used in combat by any country, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
32,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unlike the Garand, you do not have to worry about bending the operating rod as this gun uses a piston and can be adjusted. I like them both. Just wish they have magazines instead of fox magazines required enblocs and stripper clips to load.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Unlike the Garand, you do not have to worry about bending the operating rod as this gun uses a piston and can be adjusted. I like them both. Just wish they have magazines instead of fox magazines required enblocs and stripper clips to load.
I agree with you on the magazine issue. Combat firearms should not be top loaders

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
I have one chambered for 7 X 57 Mauser.

From what I've read, Belgium used their 30'06 versions in Korea.........

There is an excellent book written by Wayne Johnson about them.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
There are many other videos about the FN49 and interesting is it came in more than one rifle caliber. While is a military rifle, I am not sure it is eligible for any military matches because I do not think it was ever used in combat by any country, I could be wrong.
It is an interesting rifle, an evolution of the day's technology. The M-14 was an evolution of the M1. The FAL and the M-16 were new designs.

The FN is not eligible as as service rifle in National match competition because it was not an issue weapon to US GI's. The Mauser rifles and SKS/Kalashnikov variants are not eligible either, and they clearly saw a lot of battles.

I never entered any service rifle matches outside of US service rifle, but I am pretty sure the CMP sponsored a side service rifle match that was not restricted to US issue rifles.

Did you buy an FN49? I think it would be a fun one to collect.

·
Registered
32,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reactions: Leo
1 - 9 of 9 Posts