Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Moose keeps me on my toes. We no more than locked up the cabin to leave Monday afternoon and he comes back with a face full of quills, he finally found a porcupine. Good news he didn't have any in his mouth just his nose and side of his face.
Moose trusts me so much he just sat there while I pulled them out. He's fine now and hopefully learned a lesson.
I suppose next he will find me a skunk to play with.
Sorry no pictures wife could get camera working.

· Registered
1,107 Posts
And there I was thinking you had a Fabrique Nationale story for us. ;) Good news on the trust relationship, that's always good to hear. Good dog. Hope his swelling is low and i'll bet that won't happen again. The skunk thing is something I have experience with. One of those moments in life you never forget. Tomato paste. Lots of tomato paste. Be prepared!

Good luck to you and Moose.

· Premium Member
4,496 Posts
Moose keeps me on my toes. We no more than locked up the cabin to leave Monday afternoon and he comes back with a face full of quills, he finally found a porcupine. Good news he didn't have any in his mouth just his nose and side of his face.
Moose trusts me so much he just sat there while I pulled them out. He's fine now and hopefully learned a lesson.
I suppose next he will fund me a skunk to play with.
Sorry no pictures wife could get camera working.
Glad it wasn’t worse. Just last year I saw that in MN porcupines are fair game year round. Rarely ever seen one but I’m keeping that in mind.

· Registered
6,299 Posts
I have a neice that lives up around Grand Rapids, she and her husband have taken their dog to the vet couple times because of that, pic's I seen of the dog were brutal.......

Reactions: Big Az Al

· Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a neice that lives up around Grand Rapids, she and her husband have taken their dog to the vet couple times because of that, pic's I seen of the dog were brutal.......
Our forester said we have infestation of them in our area and to shoot every one of them.
Glad it wasn’t worse. Just last year I saw that in MN porcupines are fair game year round. Rarely ever seen one but I’m keeping that in mind.
Our forester said to shoot everyone of them.

· Premium Member
640 Posts
Glad Moose is ok and I hope he never gets a skunk ! Never had the Porcupine experience but had the skunk spray my Britt and it was not fun ! Thank goodness there was a watering trough near and I gave her a quick dunking .That was her last skunk point.

· Registered
Perazzi TMS/Browning Recoilless
1,590 Posts
Two of my labs over they years got into porkies. The vet told me in his years of experience either a dog shy's away next time or turns into a porcupine killer trying to exact revenge and it usually doesn't end well for the dog or the owner when they end up with that mindset of dog. My older one, I had two at the time got that way after his first encounter. Third strike was the bad one, he had to be put down. Had quills everywhere. His mouth was so full he couldn't close it and both his eyes were full of them. He was walking around the back yard blind when I got home and discovered the booger had climbed out of the 6' tall chain link kennel I used to keep them in when I was at work or away from the house. He was completely inapproachable and in a rage when I tried to get near him so I had to put him down myself. I suspect a porky passed through the yard and he decided it needed to be dealt with on his terms but he lost that battle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.