Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you fly with a choke in your carry on? May be a stupid question but flying home this weekend to duck hunt and wanted to bring my pattern master along and put it in my old gun back home. Don't feel like getting it thrown away.

·
Registered
14,134 Posts
No, don't even try it. They'll confiscate it and it'll end up in the trash or going home with a TSA inspector. Bring it to the post office, put it in a flat rate box for 6 bucks, and ship it to yourself.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
No gun parts in carry on.

Put it in your checked luggage. I don't think that you have to declare it like a gun, but you should consult with the check in clerk to be sure and safe.

If you do not plan to have checked luggage, then do as skeet_man suggest.

Jason

·
Registered
531 Posts
WOW are we serious....A CHOKE??? what is someone going to do with it....use it for really big spit balls? I am not trying to upset anyone and I have never flown with a weapon of any sort but I cant imagine having a hollow piece of metal could be taken as a security threat.

But then again having a large bottle of shampoo is a no no as well!!

Reap

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Reason has no place in any discussion about TSA. Was flying down to San Antonio one year to the NSC and my buddy, a many time World skeet champion and Skeet Hall of Fame shooter had a choke in his carry on. We were very lucky to have gotten to his checked baggage so he could put the choke in there and still make our plane.

TSA, as an organization, is an idiot.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Reason has no place in any discussion about TSA. Was flying down to San Antonio one year to the NSC and my buddy, a many time World skeet champion and Skeet Hall of Fame shooter had a choke in his carry on. We were very lucky to have gotten to his checked baggage so he could put the choke in there and still make our plane.

TSA, as an organization, is an idiot.

I have no doubt that happened....TSA is synonymous with pure stupidity but I was wondering if you could elaborate as to what their stated reasons were for such the upset. Again I am just curious for informational purposes.
Thank you,
Reap

·
Registered
14,134 Posts
A gun part is a gun part. TSA doesn't care what part it is. Failing to follow their instructions, however inane, to the letter can have DIRE consequences.

The fear is that a bunch of people will each bring one part of a gun onto the plane, and assemble it in flight.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The fear is that a bunch of people will each bring one part of a gun onto the plane, and assemble it in flight.
Ok.....I can see that being a problem but you still need ammo and that is not allowed under any circumstances. But again I do see the problem now. Thank you for the insight.

Reap

·
Registered
22,882 Posts
Just say it's a threaded butt plug from France. They won't even bat an eye.
Tell them it is a demo model to demonstrate why turds are tapered.

Reactions: mg1polo

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just got back from Canada with my A400 and had an extra Wadwizard in my gun case and it clearly showed on the X-ray machine but nobody questioned anything. In fact once I checked in my gun with TSA at LAX and locked my case it never got opened again. Coming back nobody even asked for my Form 4457 and didn't have to clear with customs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Obviously ammo is not allowed, but can it get through? Yes, it can. I accidentally flew from Pittsburgh to Dallas with two loaded speed loaders in my carry on backpack. Actually, only found one of them when I was emptying/repacking to come home. Dumped the ammo and threw a speedloader in my suitcase. Yep, TSA found loaded speedloader #2 in Dallas security at the checkpoint. Lol, not a fun trip, and I expected to be on a list for extra screening for the rest of my life. But that never happened. So, yes, ammo could make it on a plane.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
So it seems that we all agree that TSA's rules have little to do with reason and are also idiosyncratically applied at different airports.

Trapereaper - They didn't give a reason....it was a gun part. Should have told them it was a plumbing part...or cardiac stent for an elephant....or a cock ring for your bull mastif...or...well, I'll leave it there. LOL

·
Registered
11,135 Posts
TrapperRappper got ammo on board----I got a pocket knife on board. I always carry a pocket knife, and have since I was a teenager. While removing the items from my pockets at the airport I found it (totally forgot). I slide it into my carry on bag. It passed the X-Ray machine and I never said a word. I made sure it was on my check in luggage for the trip home though. break em all. Jeff

·
Supporting Vendor
10,244 Posts
Karma's bound to kick your ass someday Pull. You're gonna slide through the scanner with a tube of Chapstick in your pocket and Sammy Sausage fingers will be waving you over with that sideways grin as he slips on his rubber gloves!

Serves you right!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts