Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I am shooting a MX2000 at box birds. 32" barrels with fixed "full" on top, screw choke Mod in the bottom. I have patterned a number of loads and found my most uniform pattern in 1330FPS #8 1.25oz loads.

The first picture is from 29 yards. I feel like this is a great pattern- please criticize at will.
29td 1330fps #8.jpg

The second picture is from 40 yards. While the pattern was the most uniform of the 9, I feel like it is a bit lose. Thoughts?
40yd 1330fps #8.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im sorry, I thought the distance would give it away. I should have been more clear.

The 29yd pattern is out of the bottom Mod
The 40yd pattern is out of the top Fixed Full

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are both 8s - I was told 3.75dram was max charge but I could certainly be wrong.

I agree with you. But it is the fixed barrel- options to tighten?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tested 9 loads. This was the best as far as density.

I have mixed emotions on the 8s for second but I know a ton of people that have great luck with them. I was going for pattern density primarily. Remington Pigeon Loads in 7.5 patterned well out of the second barrel as well.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Patterns both excellent ,especially 40 yard one....could p.o.i. be a tiny bit high at 29 yards for pigeons?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I agree MOP. You can still find them on line every once in a while but not enough around to base stratigy around. Luckily we still have Rio, RST, and Winshester amidst a few others that have dedicated loads.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would use 7 1/2's especially in the winter. That's a tight 29 yard pattern with your modified choke,
I would like to see how your modified holds together at 40 yds.

The 40 yard full choke pattern looks OK to me, but IMO 8's fizzle out at that range you need
to penetrate inside the bird not just knock off feathers. It's more humane to get the job done
with one shot if possible.

Another opinion: Use a copper clad pellet around 1200 fps I think the pattern will hold
together longer if not pushed over 1200/1250 fps.

Eddie

Thank you for the feedback. I agree that 7.5 would be better in the winter. The problem is, the only load that really produced a dense, even pattern with 7.5s is the Remington, which are not being manufactured. I can see if I can get a hand on a couple cases.

As for the modified choke, I should be at a max distance of 34 yards with my first barrel. If I am shoot my first barrel at 40 yrds, chances are its a lost bird anyway. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Clayslayer... If you can afford to shoot flyers, you can easily afford to have your barrels worked over by Tom Wilkinson, or Kerry Allor. If you have a good supply of 3 3/4dr 1 1/4oz of 7 1/2's available to you, I would send your barrels to one of them, along with a good supply of the loads you are going to use, and ask them to work their magic on them. Tell them what you want to accomplish and they will make it happen.... Just my opinion

Reactions: Brady509

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Clayslayer... If you can afford to shoot flyers, you can easily afford to have your barrels worked over by Tom Wilkinson, or Kerry Allor. If you have a good supply of 3 3/4dr 1 1/4oz of 7 1/2's available to you, I would send your barrels to one of them, along with a good supply of the loads you are going to use, and ask them to work their magic on them. Tell them what you want to accomplish and they will make it happen.... Just my opinion
Thank you for the insight. I guess my question to the board was to see if I needed to send them out.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts