Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a pretty avid shotgun shooter, and I've been in tons of gun shops. I just recently got into fly fishing.

The one thing I noticed about Fly Fishing Shops vs. Shotgun Shops is if you walk into a gun shop and want to buy a shotgun their first question is always, "what are you going to use it for?"

I've only been in five or six fly shops, but their first question was always, "how much do you want to spend".

Don't get me started on "high performance fleece" or "tactical long underwear" :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Boy I would say you are going to the wrong fishing shops. The biggest problem I see with the fly fishing industry is they keep trying too out due there competitors but the average flyfisher doesn't know how to throw what they made 20 years ago. I have been on the guide program for sage, Scott and abel and have not bought a new rod in about 7 years because they are more concerned with building technical rods that only 5% of the anglers out there can cast. And yes I'm in that 5% but have been thinking about going to boo or old glass.

·
Vendor
19,403 Posts
Perhaps your experience 1Perazzi, but mine is the opposite. Most likely because the routine cast off my dock is 40'+ to a rising smallmouth. No time for a false cast, just pick the line up and shoot it. On the other hand all my rods are 7 years old or older. But definitly not "boo" or fiberglass. I try to not engage sales people. I just stand back and look at their offerings, be it guns or flyrods. Only when I cozy up to the counter to look at the newest reels do they move in on my wallet

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
ysr racer,

When they ask how much you want to spend there're just prepping you for a high performance fleecing. Bud

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Fly fishing is a new endeavor for me also. But, I've been fishing my whole life. The couple of fly shops that I've been using have very helpful. I wouldn't say in any way trying to gouge me. I found them interested in working on my mechanics of it, fly selection/technique of fishing it, and fish location. They had no interest in selling me $2,000 right from the get go. It was sort of a feeling of go work on your mechanics, catch some fish, try a few different common flies that produce fish. I got the impression if you got hooked on fly fishing they knew you'd be back to upgrade your outfit.

As far as all that other BS they try to sell at the fly shop I'm not interested in that. I don't need to look like I just stepped out of the Orvis or LL Bean catalog. Didn't think fishing was a fashion statement.

I'm not lucky enough to have a great shotgun shop within 100 miles of me. I use two gun shops that have a great selection of reloading supplies and are good dudes to work with. They will do whatever they can to get me what I need. Brownings, Beretta and Benelli is what I shoot targets with, not interested in much else. No sense in having a huge K or P gun guy too close to me because I couldn't afford the Kolar or Perrazi I would want.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
The reason the shops ask is to keep you in your budget. You don't need to drop a grand on a rig to catch a 12 inch trout.

I have guided on saltwater for stripers,blues and tunoids... and have had clients show up with low budget gear.

When I suggest they use one of my rigs, and they say no I'm fine with this I know it won't end well, that's if they can even cast the fly out of the boat.

I suggest take a few lessons most shop can hook you up. Book a trip with a guide he will know your ability after you first cast you might not catch any fish but if he is a good guy he can get you casting,just have thick skin..LOL

Oh you can drop a lot more cash in a gun shop then a fly shop.

John

·
Registered
909 Posts
What's so hard about fishing? You put a worm on the hook, throw it in the water and wait.
Shooting clays....well that's another kettle of fish.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
MX2G is probably the norm for flyfishing 40-60 ft casts and mostly for trout.

There isn't a flyrod out there with the right line that you can't catch fish like you had a $1k rod in your hands.

Like everything else,companies must bring newer and better next year! Look at TFO, or Echo for a reasonably priced rod. Is there a difference to a Loomis/Sage/Custom rod? Sure. Will you be able to tell the difference, NO!

A really great rod is made so by a really great line fit.

RW

·
Registered
59 Posts
All you fly fishers....LL Bean Concord N.H. has a limited selection of
Sage ZXL flyrods on sale in the $250-280 price range. They still had
several left Friday I think they were 3 and 4 weight. Good Buy!

·
5,247 Posts
YSR... I work P/T for Orvis.. my conversation typically starts with what are you fishing for? I wouldn't ask such a crass first question as to how much do you want to spend, BUT, you do get what you pay for...

Waders... how much time do expect to spend on water. The Sonic Seam technology is the Orvis patent process - regardless of who you buy... If you're buying boots... studded rubber is the future...

Our Entry Level Clearwater family starts @$200 and offers our unconditional warranty. A combo with reel, line and backing will run about $300, and our return policy is second to none.

Our H2 is among the finest rods in the world... the R&D is tremendous. We now own Ross and Scientific Anglers... You can spend as much or as little on tackle as you can on a shotgun... its ultimately the Indian...

Nothing wrong with Sage, Winston, St Croix or others... Simms, Fish Pond, Chota and others make great equipment too...

If you're unsure of where your fishing will take you... determine a budget and work within that... have questions - send me a PM...

Respectfully responding,

Jay

·
Registered
969 Posts
Perazzi,
As a fellow pro guide, I can tell you that Sage and Scott are probably not to happy you are guiding with 7 year old rods. They are always trying to demonstrate why there new rods are better than there old ones. With that being said I have to say I agree with you that most flyfisherman can't benefit from the newer high modulus rods. Not sure if going back to bamboo or glass is the answer for anyone. But most moderate action fly rods are more than adequate for most fisherman. I basically switch out all my rods every 3-4 years. Although I do have some rods I really enjoy fishing with (particularly my 8'8" 10 wt Heliply) that I will never stop using.

To answer the first question about why flyshops ask what peoples budget is likely due to having a starting point. If people don't have $800 to spend on a rod, they aren't going to go into detail about it. When I used to work in a shop, I always asked about what their needs were first, followed by what they are looking to spend on an outfit. There are lots of options...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hey Crome I have not guided in at least 5 years but travel a lot too fish, mostly salt. I love the old RPLXi's in 5 piece and think Sage made a big mistake getting rid of them as well as the SP's. I did try the new Hardy one piece and liked it a lot but had a problem getting the leader to turn over nicely. Here is my last Tarpon
1perazzi_2012_21125.jpg

·
Registered
969 Posts
Perazzi,
That's nice work! Yeah the old RPLX rods were great. I also find that a lot of my old weres were my favorite too. My all time favorite trout rod was the GLOOMIS 9'5wt IMX rod. It was one of my first rods but man did I love it. I sold it when I got on the Scott Guide Program 20 years ago... I have stopped guiding as of last year just because I don't have the time to do it anymore. I do however still field test for Simms and do some other stuff to keep involved.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I to loved the rplxi, had several, if you are trout fishing i would spend more on the rod and dont worry to much about the reel, that orvis setup sounds like a good start. I only fish saltwater and only fish sage, there great. Enjoy fishing, I do

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yep! I have every RPLXI they made in 5 pieces and would not sell them. I also like the Scott s3s, great fighting tool.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have to say over the years I have used rods from most companies and as of 2013 I am switching completely over to Orvis. The rods are fantastic and the customer service is outstanding. The nice thing about orvis is there is no charge for repairs. Including shipping. Just simply drop off a retail location and they will ship it back directly to your house. Most other rods charge close to $100 for repair and return shipping. That's my biggest beef with Scott. When I got all my rods, the deal was unconditional gurantee with no repair charge, just a $15 return shipping charge. Now they have revised their repair policy for flat fees. It's BS.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts