Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been mainly reloading AA's and Remington hulls and have the opportunity to get a few thousand Flocchi hulls (free). I was seeing a lot of discussion on primers and currently only have Winchester 209 primers. What primers should I look to get to reload the Fiocchi hulls ? Noble 209's ?

· Registered
488 Posts
I shoot at two different clubs in the Pittsburgh area where other shooters routinely throw away their Fiocchi empties (mostly the ones with the nearly transparent hulls). I scarf them up & get 1 or 2 reloads out of them, using Fiocchi 616 primers. I have never tried to use any other primers in these hulls.

Reactions: krieghoff80

· Registered
221 Posts
I load Fiocchi 28G hulls (not these you are referring to). In my case the Win209 primers are very loose and fall out rather easily-you can push in fully with index finger. Cheddites these days are close to Win209 size (despite some old charts you will see posted here) but did fit tighter for me. But Cheddites would still fall out with the racking of my pump gun about 2% of the time-they were ok with the over under though. Fio616s of course work great. Nobles should fit fine too as is, I think the are larger too like Fios. You can buy a primer pocket resize tool and resize it smaller and then any would work.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nebs, from what I have been reading and loading data the three you suggested are what I thought I should use. The only primers I have are Winchester and the three you mentioned currently are unavailable to me.

Thanks, for all the replies

· Premium Member
8,104 Posts
Nebs, from what I have been reading and loading data the three you suggested are what I thought I should use. The only primers I have are Winchester and the three you mentioned currently are unavailable to me.

Thanks, for all the replies
Unavailable to you and everyone else. My advice is to save your Fiocchi hulls until you can get some appropriate primers. People are not joking when they say Win primers will fall out of a Win hull that previously was loaded with an NS primer. I have first hand experience. When I'd see a hull with no primer, I'd fish around the bottom of my pouch until I found it and pressed it back in with my thumb. It would shoot but it was annoying as hell. I suspect they will do the same thing when used in a Fiocchi hull.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
You might want to explain that to out new member. I cannot remember the thread this was mentioned in.

Reactions: Rick Barker

· Registered
13,510 Posts
What primers should I look to get to reload the Fiocchi hulls ? Noble 209's ?
If your going to load with a Alliant brand powder? Alliant only lists Fiocchi primers to reload for this hull with their powders!!! Even though the Nobel Sport, and the Rio primers will both fit the primer pocket of these hulls. You need to find printed reloading data to use your powder and components. Good Luck to Ya. break em all jeff

· Registered
311 Posts
I've loaded thousands of the Fiocchi hulls with either Fiocchi 616 or Noble Sport 209 primers w/zero issues. Either is a good fit and are fine for use in semi-auto's. The Rio primers are somewhat larger than those in diameter & I have no experience with them. I usually load the Fiocchi's as once & done hulls. You cannot use the soda straw trick to get a Winchester 209 to fit in a Fiocchi hull, there is insufficient room; that will work for using the older 57 sized primers in Winchester primer sized hulls.

· Registered
36,825 Posts
Maybe a coat of clear nail polish around…..no, forget it. Not going to contribute any more weird suggestions.

· Registered
145 Posts
I loaded many of the orange fiocchi hulls from scheels with win209 and some were a little loose and had to push them in by hand before putting them in the gun. Later I switched to nobel sports and they fit nicely. Hulls are on 4th load and no problems with the nobels.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.