Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,931 Posts
I have not in the last 22 years, matter of fact have reached point where sometimes I can’t set the release for 2nd shot of doubles or release the release when I want to on singles or caps.
Now I can still pull a trigger on pistol or rifle when target shooting/hunting or shotgun when hunting with no problem at all.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
As a former flincher, I found release triggers to be a godsend but very often, our flinches are caused by a visual problem. I learned that when I found I could flinch with a release.

Your brain has to see the target and the gun well enough for long enough for it to determine when to issue the "fire" command to your finger. I found a lower gun hold point allowed that to happen. Holding a high gun makes the gun and target come together too soon for the brain to complete its calculations so it tells your hands to get that damned gun out of its line of sight and you jerk the gun down. Sound familiar? I held no higher than the front edge of the trap house roof and if I ever flinched, it was so seldom I can't recall doing it.

Ed

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
LOTS of things contribute to the dystonia we call a "flinch", and many of us have found effective ways to suppress our flinching without a release (for me dealing with my cross-firing, firmly gripping the gun, intense focus, and low recoil loads) but as said over and over, they rarely accomplish a long-lasting "cure".
Usually a release will work (but often requiring dealing with vision issues also), and we don't know why.

Anyone claiming to understand focal dystonia, and who demonstrates a cure thereof, will very quickly be a gazillionaire, and likely never had a flinch. The big money is in professional golfers with “the yips”, some of whom appear to have been cured, and maybe the secret will trickle down to us flinchers.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
LOTS of good advise above. I'm with Ohale..except my time is five years not twenty, and my flinch is still there.
Someone said he could shoot a different gun at other sports and not flinch...agree 100%. I can shoot skeet or sporting with no problem. If i shoot trap with a different gun...ANY GUN..I will flinch before a round is over.
The .22 trick won't work in most cases. Been there tried that. And, the statement the a release will fix it 99% of the time is spot on.
I live in that world.
Good luck from a fellow flincher.
Jim

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a release trigger. Helped for a while. Right back to flinching with release or pull. Went and had my eyes checked, 20/20. I still think it’s a visual thing. Tried taping up my left eye, I’m not sure that didn’t make it worse. I love shooting shotguns. This is frustrating to say the least. I shoot a lot of skeet and l can flinch with a 28 or 410 also. That is why I don’t think it is a recoil thing. I think it is some kind of visual, wrong target picture thing. Doesn’t look right and I can’t pull the trigger.

·
Registered
9,931 Posts
Most of us mere human trapshooters miss on a fairly regular basis just due to human error but when you throw in misses because of a flinch that seems totally beyond your control it is frustrating as all get out.
When that happens it really hurts the bottom line.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a release trigger. Helped for a while. Right back to flinching with release or pull. Went and had my eyes checked, 20/20. I still think it’s a visual thing. Tried taping up my left eye, I’m not sure that didn’t make it worse. I love shooting shotguns. This is frustrating to say the least. I shoot a lot of skeet and l can flinch with a 28 or 410 also. That is why I don’t think it is a recoil thing. I think it is some kind of visual, wrong target picture thing. Doesn’t look right and I can’t pull the trigger.
  • 20/20 vision.... well, it does not seem to be a physical characteristic that controls this - I am guessing you don't have any trouble seeing the Target????
  • Release trigger "helped for a while" - think that had anything to do with adding some temporary confidence? Then you flinched and it's like "oh no, it's back!!" and now it own's you again.
  • When you call for a Target - what are you really thinking, I mean really, down deep thinking. Is it possible that instead of just shooting the Target, like you obviously know how to do, that you are more concerned with flinching. When you stand on the pad or even standing in line or walking up to the pad, does a flinch even remotely enter your mind - be honest now.

·
6,218 Posts
For years there have been articles written about the cumulative effects of recoil and developing flinches while shooting...

Maybe we should encourage newer, younger shooters, to use lighter loads to postpone the onset of flinching. May not completely solve it, and some will disregard anyway... couldn't hurt.

Reactions: jansonuhl

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've realized that all my flinches come from looking at the space/gap coming off hard focus on the bird and not trusting my lead. Recoil is a non issue for me I believe. But I have watched shooters getting rocked by Pterodactyl loads a thought that's gonna create problems.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
  • 20/20 vision.... well, it does not seem to be a physical characteristic that controls this - I am guessing you don't have any trouble seeing the Target????
  • Release trigger "helped for a while" - think that had anything to do with adding some temporary confidence? Then you flinched and it's like "oh no, it's back!!" and now it own's you again.
  • When you call for a Target - what are you really thinking, I mean really, down deep thinking. Is it possible that instead of just shooting the Target, like you obviously know how to do, that you are more concerned with flinching. When you stand on the pad or even standing in line or walking up to the pad, does a flinch even remotely enter your mind - be honest now.
Sometimes I see it but I wonder if I’m really looking, focusing on it. I mean I may run a box or two and then shoot a 19 and have no idea why. In the mean time here came the flinch. Maybe just trying too hard, I don’t know. I’m trying to work my way through it

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I had developed an aggravating flinch, as much as 12 to 15 times on 100 shots. For a variety of reasons I was unable to shoot for 5 to 6 weeks. When I started up again my flinch was gone. It may come back but if it does I'll take another break. JPM

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had developed an aggravating flinch, as much as 12 to 15 times on 100 shots. For a variety of reasons I was unable to shoot for 5 to 6 weeks. When I started up again my flinch was gone. It may come back but if it does I'll take another break. JPM
Don't even talk like that!!!! What is the matter with you man!?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts