Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to do this with their 800grit aluminum oxide to smoothen my barrel. Just asking for opinions on those who have done this. Will it change the dimensions on the barrel? By how much? My barrel is stamped by Allor, I just don’t know if will be a significant change after the hone. Thanks.0

·
Registered
777 Posts
I've used the flex hone approach to polish the area where I'd had the forcing cones lengthened in one shotgun. The fine grit did little to the barrel steel beyond slightly polishing it. Be sure to use the recommended honing oil. -Ed

·
Registered
384 Posts
Contact Information
Barrel Works, Inc.
2361 Equestrian Dr
Saint Clair, MI 48079
Title: Owner
Phone: (810) 326-3943

·
Registered
136 Posts
Kerry Allor is not doing any barrel or gun work at this time. He is involved
in another project that could take several months to complete.
He will be back working in his shop after the project is complete, I talked
to him about ten days ago.
Terry Epley

·
Banned
1,072 Posts
There is no arguing with the suggestions above.

The 800 grit flex hone is not going to give you a finish you would desire.

I had a barrel with faint scratches, best I could determine the result of few grains of sand wet adhered to the hull that I was reloading picked up from part of property that has sandy soil.

I was able to remove them by using scotch brite pad stips, cleaning rod and a drill, in effect making a flex hone. I would only recommend using the two finest grades, the grey 7446 followed by the white 7445. The material removal will be minimal, the scotch bright pads conform to irregularities that more rigid backed abrasives cant and the result is superior. The 7445 will leave a near mirror finish.

One could try 7446 and 7445 on sheet metal to see the result and you will see how little material the 7446 removes follow it by 7445. Then compare it to 800 grit paper and you might be thankful you did not.

·
Registered
10,479 Posts
Using the Medium hone will get the barrel very smooth. The Fine hone will get a mirror finish. It takes a while to get any very fine imperfections out of the bore.

I have used these for decades, they are not designed to change bore dimensions, just to reduce the depth of toolmarks. I have seen a number of barrels massaged by the barrel Wizards that had significant toolmarks.

If you take a new Medium hone and wear it out on one barrel, you will need a bore mic that can measure down to .0001" to notice a change in dimensions. Been there, done that.

As was said by another poster, you must use the proper oil, also sold by Brownell's, where I get my hones.

I like using them simply because wad fouling is virtually eliminated.

The chamber hone will help a gun that does not play well with steel based hulls.

·
Registered
945 Posts
You can polish a bore or hole by taking a metal rod a sawing a slit down the middle of it a put a small piece fine emery cloth it it. Chuck it in a hand drill or air tool oil and polish it, I have polished many a dowel hole in this manner

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Send it to Skeets Gun Shop in Oklahoma. He’ll fix it up nice and you’ll probably pay less than you will buying the Flex Hone. He’s a magician when it comes to that type work.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The first time I got the barrel back from Kerry, it was so easy to clean and hits really really hard. Fast forward 2yrs later, no matter how much elbow grease I use and different kinds of solvents, the barrel has rings of fouling that I just couldn’t remove. And it doesn’t leave targets churning black like before. And at the 27, I need as much working pattern as I can get.

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
To all my trapshooting friends and associates. I started to put this on here when I first noticed the word
Flex Hone!

Be very very careful if you try to flex hone a barrel that has been ported. I run into this many years ago.
Stay out of the ported area!!
Prolonged use and extensive polishing with the flex hone in the ported area will elongate the holes inside the barrel where the holes are.
It will elongate the holes so badly that you can literally look down the barrel and see very plainly the elongation of each ported hole.
Believe me when I say this!!
This is no joke.
Years past I did this first hand!
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
before honing your barrel try this on your wad fouling, its the most aggressive wad solvent i've come across. Caution use in a well ventilated area & dont get it on your stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
before honing your barrel try this on your wad fouling, its the most aggressive wad solvent i've come across. Caution use in a well ventilated area & dont get it on your stock.
Yes I tried that already. Soaked it for an hour then scrubbed with bronze brush to no avail.

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
Unless you know what you are doing, I wouldn’t even think of doing it and I have a fully tooled machine shop. I have never done a shotgun barrel and I damn sure wouldn’t start on my trap barrel. It doesn’t take much to totally f*** up a barrel. But hey, the new barrel sellers have to eat too.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts