Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Premium Member
Browning BT99 & CXT
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a 1 1/2 foot flame out of barrel. We notice this shooting at night.
I am reloading Remington hulls, noble 688 primers, tgt12 wads, 1 oz #8 shot with 17.4 grains of titewad. Hodgson shows this should be about 1220 fish.
Can you explain why such a flame?
Thanks
Mark

· Premium Member
Browning BT99 & CXT
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
32 in crimps depth looks good. May try to find some other primers.

Whats the chance this could be powder not burned inside barrel?

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
32 in crimps depth looks good. May try to find some other primers.

Whats the chance this could be powder not burned inside barrel?
What, exactly, is flame? It is the hot, glowing, gaseous part of a fire. Every firearm, upon firing, emits a flash of flame. Military goes to great lengths to hide that flash. But unless the powder is completely burned and the gasses starting to cool in the bbl ( like a .22 lr through a 30 inch bbl ) you will have a flash. Most noticeable at night.

· Registered
13,538 Posts
Can you explain why such a flame?
Because there was a huge explosion inside your barrel. No worries, as this is common to see at night. I saw flame during the day, coming out the side ejection port on my 391 several times when I was shooting some Nobel Sport factory one oz. loads. I didn't see any flame, on any of the other factory shells that I have shot. I have shot just about every brand of shell out their. I wanted to see if I could get the 391 to jamb on at least one of the economy lines of shells!!! My 391 ate all the shells I feed it, without a hitch. So in closing, Its possible that the Nobel Sport primers may have contributes to a more noticeable flame??? But, your load looks to be plenty safe. So forgetaboutit!!! break em all Jeff

· Registered
203 Posts
I get flash at the end of the barrel using Titewad. When I first started reloading I was trying several powders. I only witnessed it with Titewad. I read something that some powders will produce more flash than others especially if they can be used with pistol reloads. Alot of pistol reloaded don't like Titewad due to its muzzle flash.

· Premium Member
Browning BT99 & CXT
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Because there was a huge explosion inside your barrel. No worries, as this is common to see at night. I saw flame during the day, coming out the side ejection port on my 391 several times when I was shooting some Nobel Sport factory one oz. loads. I didn't see any flame, on any of the other factory shells that I have shot. I have shot just about every brand of shell out their. I wanted to see if I could get the 391 to jamb on at least one of the economy lines of shells!!! My 391 ate all the shells I feed it, without a hitch. So in closing, Its possible that the Nobel Sport primers may have contributes to a more noticeable flame??? But, your load looks to be plenty safe. So forgetaboutit!!! break em all Jeff
I will forget it. Thanks

· Registered
4,498 Posts
Shooting a night league every Thursday, you get to see some cool fireworks!! One brand in particular, Orange hulls Euro shell (NobleSport ??), my buddy's autoloader would always have a really neat flame rolling out the side of the ejection port on his autoloader!

· Registered
1,118 Posts
At dusk I slipped my friend a black powder shell. He was shooting a ported O/U at skeet, station 6. I don't know which was funnier, him swearing at me or the foot of flame coming out the end of the barrel and ports, both sides of the barrel. He's a gunsmith and latter said he thought he blew up the gun. We still laugh about it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.