Fixing Your Dog | Trap Shooters Forum

Fixing Your Dog

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Daffydust, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Daffydust

Daffydust Banned User Banned

I personally think fixing dogs isn't good for their hunting. It is proposed by vets that it will make them lazier, less aggressive and less willing. I think you shouldn't do this if you have a good hunting dog because it will maybe make it less willing to get ducks or make it less tough so it won't do stuff it used to do like swim farther for a duck or break through ice. Let them have their balls and male dogs will do amazing hunting. Also if you fix them they have a tendency to become fatter.

What do you all think about this ?

2. Harv Shell

Harv Shell Well-Known Member

14 more to 50, that's what I think.

mg1polo, WesleyB, Jack R and 1 other person thanked this.
  3. Dukefan

Dukefan K-80 TS or Seitz 1045 TS Supporters

An ex coworker bought a Vizsla puppy to train for bird hunting. He took the pup to a vet to have neutered and a day after the surgery the dog died. They said it was a reaction to the anesthesia. I would not put myself, family, or pet through any unnessary surgery. I realize there are circumstances where folks chose to have their pets fixed, but some basic precautions and pet care can eliminate a lot of those reasons.

Daffydust thanked this.
  4. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I had to have a female wire hair spayed for health reasons. It worked so well I had the next wire hair spayed & my present lab was spayed at 6 months. All three of these dogs were/are great gundogs, that never got fat & had big motors. I'll do the same to the next one, eliminates a lot of problems.

5. murphranch

murphranch Well-Known Member

I have a black lab that had a rupture of some kind show up behind his ball sack, kinda in the taint area. Ended up costing him his manhood. He was already as good as a lab that you could ask for in the hunting department. He was coming 3 years old when it happened and will be 7 next month. I live in the country on our ranch and this dog goes with me everywhere and is not penned or chained up at any time and gets lots of exercise and has not gotten fat ,so the weight factor would be hard figure in on him. As far as hunting he still has the heart and durability as he did before losing his nurtz.

6. ditchparrot

ditchparrot Well-Known Member

The procedure in and of itself has zero effect on a dog's desire or ability to hunt. That's another one of those old-timers' beliefs that has no basis in reality.

My late father, God rest his soul, believed that a bird dog that spent any significant time in the house would be ruined forever. He got that from his own father, and on up the chain.

Pops was right about a lot of things, but not that one.

7. Dr Joe

Dr Joe Active Member

I finally after 6 years let my vet talk me into spaying my lab. On the same diet she's been on for years she started gaining weight. Never will I do that again.

Daffydust thanked this.
  8. 2500 HD

2500 HD Well-Known Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

If their not broken don't fix em. Only when and if a problem occurs

broadway john and Chooter55 thanked this.
  9. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

My best ever hunting dog, a big headed lionheart of a lab was fixed at 2 years. Didnt affect him at all weght or hunting wise. It kept me from getting a pup from his lineage, which I regret.
    My current dog, A female black lab was fixed at 6 months and immediately became urinary incontinent . Cant hold her pee. After some research I have found that her problem possibly could have been avoided by waiting on the spaying. Now its medicine for life but at least the pills work.

Bill

10. dklees

dklees Well-Known Member

Females spayed if you don't intend to raise some pups. If you plan of having some pups then wait. Males don't think most benefit from it. Just my opinion.

But females tend to live a little longer according to my vet in-laws. I had a 12 yr. old Akita female that got really sick with uterus cancer/tumor and infection. Nearly died and she was miserable for weeks. Vet said it happens as they get old and can be avoided if they are spayed. It cost a lot of money to get her spayed and back on her feet. But she lived another 2 years of happy giant Akita and I was happy to have her alive for those 2 years.

I'd have the females spayed after this terrible experience, but that's just my opinion.

11. honcho

honcho Active Member

I've always fixed my females and done at a very early age. I've never felt the hunt any less hard in the field. Most of my buddies get males and don't fix and most of the time the just follow my females around looking for sex rather than looking for birds.

Turkinator thanked this.
  12. o-hale

o-hale Well-Known Member

Had 2 fixed, both females.
    The beagle was worthless, got fat, lazy, the Brittany was absolutely outstanding.
    Guess it is luck which way they turn out.

13. TommyB67

TommyB67 Member

I have always had labs. Always females. Had them all spayed. All have been great hunters - relentless, hard working, fit until they became too old to hunt.

14. Turkinator

Turkinator Well-Known Member

I can see fixing a female due the possibility of them being in heat at the wrong time, but I can't see a reason to fix a male. If he has an aggression problem shoot a few volts to him. Calms them right down

Daffydust thanked this.
  15. Rain

Rain Member

All my current dogs (male and female) are 'fixed'. None has any fat on them. If you watch what you feed them and exercise them appropriately there's no reason for them to gain weight. I can't speak so much to their hunting willingness or ability but, given by how my GSP points and brings me rabbits, I suspect it won't make much change to your dog.

mg1polo thanked this.
  16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I only get male dogs and have had a couple of them castrated due to swollen prostate glands. I couldn't tell any difference in their energy level or hunting interest. I probably will have this new black lab dog that I adopted cut because he is of unknown breeding and wouldn't be useful at stud. Not a big deal either way but more importantly, a dog's health and energy drive depend on how his owner takes care of him and how much work he gets - not really a gonad thing.

17. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

The best bird dog I ever had was a spayed female. Vets say spaying greatly reduces the chance of breast cancer. I never had a male neutered;never saw any reason to do so but I have ALWAYS spayed my female dogs and NONE of them got fat or lazy. My current bird dog is a Hell on wheels female pointer who looks and acts the part of a true champion bird dog but she still is not as good as the best one I ever had....I'm beginning to think that its true that a man is only allowed one really great hunting dog but I have loved them all.

18. cementman

cementman Active Member

I had that once in the lifetime hunting dog, a female Vizsla, with perfect conformation. Had her fixed at six months and wished many times over that I didn't. Lost forever the genes that could have produced other great hunting dogs.

19. ditchparrot

ditchparrot Well-Known Member

Truly horrible advice here. Absolutely off-the-charts bad.

Electronic collars are communication tools used to enforce commands that are known to the dog. They are NOT an automatic cure for undesirable behavior. Many, many potentially excellent dogs have been completely ruined via the misuse of e-collars.

Anybody considering following Turkinator's advice should take a screen shot of post No. 17. Show it to any reputable trainer and ask his/her opinion of it. I'll almost guarantee that, upon reading it, the first thing the trainer will do is shake their head in disgust.

sandcountyalmanac, DONNE, BDOG22 and 3 others thanked this.
  20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

+1 on the ill advised use of Edison medicine. The shock is only of value when the dog knows what they are doing at the time of the shock and then just a tone followed by a minor nick will do the trick. After the first nick the tone function alone works just fine. Its not a remote control for your dog but a lot of guys use them that way and end up with a dog that won't hunt. The cure for aggression is to assert your dominance and get physical control of the animal.

sandcountyalmanac and mg1polo thanked this.
Search tags for this page

dog fixing