Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tropical Depression 9 is out in the Gulf of Mexico and is forecast to become a Tropical Storm and move across us here in north Florida sometime late Thursday/early Friday.

For those of you who haven't experienced a Tropical system, it's nothing to play with. They can spin up into a major hurricane very quickly. At the very least, north Florida will get torrential rain. For some people, this could be a life changing event.

All we can do is prepare, pray, wait and hope for the best. It's really a helpless feeling.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
There's just no way to explain the feeling when they forecast a weather event that you know is coming and all you can do is wait and pray! The last one I rode out was Rita when I lived the Houston area. Depressions are bad enough and I hope it does not escalate to hurricane status.........Good luck and stay dry!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10,215 Posts
Hang in there Claypoppy!!! Sounds like your a newbie to "FLORIDA"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a few hundred miles to your south and have been dealing with #9's effects for the 3rd day now and its nothing. After going though 3 hurricane's in 13 months and losing power for a week each time. This is a walk in the park. Don't read into all the hype of TV!!! Your window's will not break in winds under 70 mph, so don't sweat the small stuff. You should not even lose power, but even if you do, Florida is much more prepared now after what happened a decade ago. Keep your eye on NOAA.com and go to the hurricane center. Follow the hurricane list of items to keep on hand. You should have done this back in JUNE at the start of the season.

I once spent a entire week in a tropical storm as it passed by 60-70 miles to my south then it turned around and came back across right over us, then it turned around again and passed by once again about 60-70 miles to the north of us. Never missed one minute of work and drove 30 minutes each way to work all week long. It took 45 minutes each way that week.

Its a bit late now in the season, but this winter you may want to price some hurricane shutters if you don't already have them. Again, Good Luck and "Stay Calm", use common sense and you'll be fine. break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Exactly what Pull said.

One other item that you need to have a supply of is gasoline. Fill all of your cars up and limit your driving.

Be smart and you will be safe.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hang in there Claypoppy!!! Sounds like your a newbie to "FLORIDA"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Believe it or not, I'm a fourth generation Floridian. Been living here all of my 62 years.

I agree that the forecasters usually give a "worst case" scenario, but that is to try to get peoples attention. Tropical Depression 9 as it is called, seems to be a fairly mild system, but that doesn't mean it can't spin up into something in a hurry.

There is a saying..."Man plans, God laughs.".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts