Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shoot almost exclusively Sporting Clays with the occassional trap doubles thrown in. Over the past year or so, I find both myself and my shooting buddies changing chokes much less, if at all. Put in a couple of mod chokes and it smokes everything. My question is this; I'm about to purchase a new clay buster and am seriously considering getting fixed chokes. Do you think that in any way hurts the re-saleability of the gun (if I ever decide to sell) or is it a non-issue for most guys. I know chokes could be added later but let's discount that fact for this discusion.

Thanks

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
I don't shoot sporting clays and know very little about the finer points of the game. However, because we have so many sporties stopping by trapshooters.com and offering advice on trapshooting, I feel I should reciprocate by offering an ignorant opinion. I think that sporties like to change chokes because it gives them something to do after goosing each other has gotten old waiting their turn to shoot. So, if your gun has removable chokes, a shooter can change or not change chokes. This is called, "Having an option." If the your gun has fixed chokes then you can't change chokes. This is called "Not having an option."

Which position would you prefer to be in? (This is your option)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well, if I'm buying a trap O/U, I want 32" barrels. If I'm going for sporting, I want 28, 30" tops. So it won't be the same gun either way......

But- when I shoot sporting, I have found that sometimes it is nice to have a more open choke in the bottom barrel. Maybe just the courses I run, but that first bird is sometimes really close. Then the next pair will be far, and farther..... So I want to have screw in chokes for s/c anyway. Same reason I prefer an O/U for sporting, over a semi auto.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
I used to buy into the old wives' tale that fixed chokes pattern better but had to acknowledge that some of my squadmates using those inferior choke tubes were smoking targets every bit as well as those of us with fixed chokes. Then I bought a new trap gun for which fixed chokes were not offered and soon realized why choke tubes are better. If you ever want to try a different choke, and what trapshooter hasn't had that thought, you can and if the new one really isn't better, the change is easily reversed and you can even resell the choke. With a fixed choke, you're pretty much stuck with the new one. Now, I wouldn't buy a new shotgun without choke tubes.

Ed

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
I shoot almost exclusively Sporting Clays with the occassional trap doubles thrown in. Over the past year or so, I find both myself and my shooting buddies changing chokes much less, if at all. Put in a couple of mod chokes and it smokes everything. My question is this; I'm about to purchase a new clay buster and am seriously considering getting fixed chokes. Do you think that in any way hurts the re-saleability of the gun (if I ever decide to sell) or is it a non-issue for most guys. I know chokes could be added later but let's discount that fact for this discusion.

Thanks
I presume it's going to be a spotter.

With today's mindset with changing .003 constriction for a given presentation, you would have an extremely limited market for resale I'd think with fixed.

·
Administrator
8,268 Posts
The reason you see so many shotguns used for trap doubles with fixed chokes is because it is a relatively know distance game and most shooters will have their gun set up a specific way and leave it because you do not get to a doubles event in American Style trap and go "I need to change chokes because the first bird is closer today"
If you are going to get a sporting clays/Multi Sport Shotgun get is with choke tubes and call it good. The first thing that will happen is you will go to a course and you will get a presentation of incomers ect. and you will not be happy with you pattern.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
I can't understand why anyone would choose a fixed choked barrel over having a barrel that is threaded and will readily accept threaded choke tubes, especially if the cost is the same! Being able to change chokes just makes the gun more versatile and able to adapt to different conditions.

With that being said, I shoot a Beretta 391 sporting while shooting sporting clays and use a .15 (light mod) for virtually everything sporting and 16 yard trap, but change to .05 (skeet) for skeet and .30 (light full) for handicap and bunker trap.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Choke tubes will give you a wider choice of options when target distances and angles change. If you feel competent with your shotgun skills having a gun with dedicated chokes is also fine, then you may want you choose a wider range of ammo to adjust to those up close crossers and rabbits or those 60/70 yard screamers. My preference is a choke tubed gun.

Eddie

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks boys. The consensus is definitely a multi choke gun. That is the way I was leaning, but did want some confirmation. Appreciate the replies.

·
Registered
10,195 Posts
I agree with the majority above. If you try to sell a shotgun today with fixed chokes your going to have a hard time selling it, and it will sell for way below what the same gun in same condition would sell for if it had removeable choke tubes. Fixed chokes are a thing of the past. The only shooters left that would still think they are better are the real old timers.

Today you would need 3 different guns to shoot Trap, Skeet, and Sporting Clays if your gun had fixed chokes!!! But today with removeable choke tubes you can shoot all 3 with the same gun. Its that simple. The shooters would also be able to shoot better at more Sporting Clays Courses because he/she could change chokes, as the club changes the presentations of the targets every other week or so, or if you shoot at many different clubs as well. break em all Jeff

·
Banned
848 Posts
I definitely prefer fixed FULL for trap, fixed FULL/MOD for bunker, fixed SK/SK for skeet and interchangeable choke tubes for sporting. Even though I don't change chokes much (shooting LM/LM almost exclusively), the variety of targets is just too wide and sometimes, tighter chokes are simply a must for a way-way out there FITASC targets or more open ones for closer targets on 5-stand. I owned both fixed and non-fixed choke guns and prefer the latter for sporting.

·
Registered
15,387 Posts
F&F fixed for me after 22 years of Fitasc, Sporties and Trap. 45 years of hunting.
Nothing can get away.
Focus on the target and what it is doing vs mechanical advantages. If you have a closer target use a spreader. Nothing more of a waste of time than changing choke constrictions every station for a perceived 10 or 15 yard distance difference. It's a mental crutch for most. Press on........

Reactions: Jo2

·
Registered
18,661 Posts
One good thing about changing choke tubes every station on a sportie course. No more frozen in place choke tube postings on here. We won't need to be advised of the superior penetrating qualities of Kroil.

Reactions: Remdog1187

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
One good thing about changing choke tubes every station on a sportie course.
There is nothing worse that being on a sporting clays squad with a guy who is always changing his chokes for every station.

If those guys would focus on breaking the target as much as on which choke to use, they would be so much better off!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Fixed choke for single barrel, and choke tubes for the over under. I shoot everything from skeet to sporting with it.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I've seen more then a few sporting clays shooters who don't change chokes.

I also seen some of them lose a shoot by a couple of birds because they missed a few close in targets.

It's not rifle shooting, it's shotgun shooting.

You need to know your limitations. Sometimes, you need an open choke....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts