Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can this crack in my 390 stock be repaired or is it a goner? Has nice figuring and I hate to toss it away. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for looking.
Footwear Shoe Slipper

Footwear Shoe Slipper

·
Registered
239 Posts
Phyl at glenrock blue has a wood guy(wes) that can fix just about anything and you wont be able to tell it was broke. And his prices are truly unbelievable.Both are great to work with. Larry.

·
Premium Member
10,477 Posts
Firewood- you can buy a utility one for a lot less to a little more than a repair on this one and it wont have a repair

Gene

PS or sell to someone on here for a project- maybe a youth stock that will be be painted anyway or something- maybe 20 bucks?

·
Registered
14,646 Posts
Agreed, unless the stock is high-grade (can't tell from the pics), it will be cheaper and easier to buy a new one. Figure a repair and refinish will likely cost you a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Shaker am I seeing a portion of the inside of the thru hole and tennon broken as well as the crack that is visible. If it is not, why not fix this yourself? If it is a clean crack, meaning no one has tried to fix it with silicone lol, then a good carpenter's glue will make that break stronger than the wood on either side of it.

I will send you a pm.

Mike

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Looks like an easy fix. Put a good coating of glue in the cracked area. Wrap the outside tightly with a long rubber band. Then put a clamp on the inside piece to close the gap. Let it sit for a couple days and you should be good to go. HMB

·
Registered
10,073 Posts
Your stock looks better than the one I am presently using. Get some epoxy, wrap the stock with electrical tape good and tight, and after a week take the tape off. It will be as good as new.
Steve Balistreri

·
Premium Member
10,477 Posts
GW22- the moderators will tire of your anti military and anti policeman comments-

You never add anything to the conversation and are ruining this thread

Regards from Iowa

Gene

·
Banned
5,706 Posts
To get a stock to crack like that something was very very wrong in the first place. It does not look like a very hi grade stock, a side view would give a better choice of trash or fix. Looks like it was driven over to get a stock to crack like that and that bad. A stock from Wenig I think would be a better choice, they have a lot of finished ones. A fix would cost over a $100 I think or close to it. Personally I would not fix it. You can find a used stock on here where a shooter had a custom stock made for his Beretta.

Gary Bryant
Dr.longshot

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Well, I'll be darned! He IS alive!

It looks like Arlington Cemetery will have to wait a bit longer, to receive its most distinguished resident.

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
Acraglass and a good secure clamp setup...the 390 recoil spring tube has plenty of extra room inside the hole circumference..I'd also get a small piece glass matting and impregnate it with the acraglass and lay the mesh into the inside down the hole...will work fine

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's another pic of the broken stock. True story - several years ago a very good friend was putting his gun in a gunrack at a sporting clays club and the whole rack tipped over and all of the guns hit the pavement (ouch!). Not my buddy's fault as the rack wasn't secured properly to the building it was attached to.
Shotgun

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
I agree on the keeping the Gorilla glue (and polyeurathanes in general)away from gunstocks. They need water to activate and then bubble and expand so they are a mother to clean up on a finished piece. Acraglas is the best!

Ron Burr

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.