Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was waiting to shoot tonight. Watching a squad shoot. On about the sixth shot one of the shooters called pull and his shotgun went phuft. He looked around and then removed the empty. I saw that no wad went down range. One of the other guys said I think you had better check the barrel. Sure enough the wad was in the barrel. I took the fibreglass stick out to him. This happened four more times in the next eight shots. One of the other shooters went and got him a box of factory shells from his truck. He still had eleven shells in the box. he said when they were done I think I forgot to put powder in them. He then said I wonder how many are in the other boxes? All five I watched were primer only.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
The blessings of using progressive presses.
Then again I have loaded forever and can count misfires on one hand. While one fellow shooter at my club who also has reloaded forever is Well Known for having bad loads in EVERY box..

·
Registered
863 Posts
Witnessed this same thing from two different trapshooters this summer on squads that I was shooting on. Kind of gets a little unnerving after it happens multiple times on same squad. Both not new at all to shooting or shotshell reloading. A lack of a powder drop on a reloaded shotshell by either a single stage or progressive reloader should be evident if one inspects both ends of every shotshell before boxing them up. Only other issue would be a lack of a primer drop and then the powder drop may be only a light drop or completely lacking any powder as the shotshell progresses around the different stations of the reloader and the powder dumps thru the primer pocket all over/or under the reloader and onto your bench, but in this case there is no primer for ignition. I'm for inspecting 100% of your finished shotshells (both ends and not when your putting them into the chamber of you gun while on the line). Tell me if I'm wrong.

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,589 Posts
What kind of loader? Visit him some day and help him troubleshoot the problem. You'd be doing everybody a favor.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Its called Precision Reloading for a reason.

Hopefully he keeps a log of his reloading.

DGH

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,589 Posts
Sometimes you need an extra set of eyes to find an issue.

Ok, video him loading and I'll troubleshoot it, but you'll probably see the problem in the process of taking the video.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This guy had primers in all the shells. All five had wads stuck partway down the barrel and had to be removed with a stick.

When I reloaded a lot of shotgun shells I never would let the powder, shot, or primers get below one third full before refilling. Never had a dud in thousands of rounds.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Aside from a reloader mechanical issue (such as with rack and gear driven shot and powder bushings being out of "time" or a obstruction in the powder bushing and/or the drop tube) or operator error while operating the reloader (like manually short stroking a charge bar or just plain running out of powder) could be a hull or a few hulls fully loaded that were internally damp when reloaded.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Dandy for a moment I thought you were from South Central Pa. We have so many guys with duds that it disrupts the squads. It is one of the reasons I do not shoot "house" leagues too many distractions. To them it is a joke!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not to much fun for those shooting with someone that careless with their shells. This is the first one like this I have seen for a while. An occaisional dud is one thing but five out of fourteen and the guy remarks that he wonders how many more duds there are in the other boxes of reloads. He said he didn't know what he was going to do with all of them I said he could try to weigh them all against a good one. maybe that would work. Stilltrying. Are all those guys in your neck of the woods tipping a few too many when they are reloading? Almost all the guys in my league shoot factory loads.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts