Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blaser markets their modularity of components. The question is if one set of Briley tubes are fitted to a particular blaser f3 barrel, can you use the same tubes in another blaser f3 that has the exact same barrel length?

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Only way to know for sure is to try.

I had a set of Brileys made for a Browning Special Sporting in 1995. A guy at my club 6 years ago wanted to try them in his Special Sporting, and they fit.

Make sure you have the same choke installed that they were customized to. While a more open choke might allow them to fit a little loose, a tighter choke will prevent them from inserting.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only way to know for sure is to try.

I had a set of Brileys made for a Browning Special Sporting in 1995. A guy at my club 6 years ago wanted to try them in his Special Sporting, and they fit.

Make sure you have the same choke installed that they were customized to. While a more open choke might allow them to fit a little loose, a tighter choke will prevent them from inserting.
Thanks. I sent a note to Briley. But I have to imagine that when the gun is the same, they should fit... although my barrel is a vantage barrel and the fitted tubes were done on a super sport... thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Briley tubes are usually marked with a portion of the serial number of the gun or barrel to which they were originally fitted. I once purchased a set of Briley tubes from a friend that were fitted to his Browning Special Sporting-they fit in mine perfectly. When I split a 20 gauge chamber, I returned the tube and barrels to Briley. They usually replace the split chamber for free or at nominal fee. But because the tubes were not originally fitted to my barrels, they charged me full cost for replacing the chamber. Just a note of caution.

·
Registered
10,859 Posts
Tube-sets that are fitted to a barrel are fitted to them for life. While you may think they fit in your gun. They may be too loose fitting in some area's. This is why Briley and Kolar will not warranty them in another barrel. The cost to have them properly fitted would be counter-productive. Its also my understanding, that Briley and Kolar will no longer even do a re-fitting for this reason. So if you buy a set of sub-gauge tubes. You better buy the barrel they were fitted to as well. Otherwise you void the warranty of the tube-set. break em all jeff

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I heard back from Briley. They said it may work fine, but the biggie is that each tube has the serial number of the barrel, and any issue will have the warranty voided.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I purchased the 20, 28 and 410 for my f3 a few years back. These came from an individual that had purchased them for his f3. They work fine in my gun and I have had no problems.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Went through a similar dilemma with my K80 not too long ago. Had a 30" sporting barrel with 18.6mm bores. Found a kolar tube set online from an identical barrel. I called Kolar and was given a green light as long as there wasn't any sort of obvious fitment issues, or binding. I checked the chambers on the tubes and the bores of the barrel each time I used the tube set and didn't have any issues. I was looking for scoring or gouging/galling. Here's my thought process, so take it with a grain of salt. Briley advertises fitted tubes, and companion tubes. If you had a set of companions, and fitted tubes for your blaser F3 barrel next to each other, by the eye you'd never tell the difference between the two. One set is fit for that barrel, and the other will fit a broad spectrum of barrels including the F3 before you.

What are the true differences between the chambers on the fitted tubes and the companions? I struggle to think there are any major between the two. I would think the companions are slightly oversized to accommodate for chamber variances, but being blaser (high end like krieghoff, kolar, ect) I doubt their quality control would let a barrel set leave the factory and not be within their chamber spec. The aluminum tubes are press fit either way you spin it, and will conform to a steel bore when tapped into place. I just can't see that large of a variance between two blaser f3 barrels, but I could be wrong. If you have the chance to check each gauge for fit before you buy, then obviously that's the route to go. More than likely, I anticipate you'll hammer em in place and you won't even know the difference. They could be a hair on the tight side, or a hair on the loose side. If you've got the original barrel to press them into and compare, that would be the best scenario and make your judgement from there. From what I've seen...used tube sets take a nose dive in value without the original barrel, so you probably won't get burned too bad as long as the tubes aren't expensive. Or...weigh your options of guaranteed success with buying new. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I purchased the 20, 28 and 410 for my f3 a few years back. These came from an individual that had purchased them for his f3. They work fine in my gun and I have had no problems.
Thanks - were the barrels the same? I'm looking to use a fitted set that was done on a super sport barrel on my vantage barre. Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
One reason I bought my F3, (set up for skeet with 30" flat rib barrels and briley tubes ) was that all their barrels and actions could interchange. I recently bought a back up gun, set up the same way. It was very close in serial number, etc.
I could not get the sub gauge tubes to interchange. So I just interchange the barrels with their own tubes installed. As mentioned before, your experience may be different.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks - were the barrels the same? I'm looking to use a fitted set that was done on a super sport barrel on my vantage barre. Thanks!
Not sure on that, mine is a competition sporting with a newer barrel. They do fit snug but not enough to concern me. Wish I could give more info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts