Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Fishburn is a smart businessman.......he needs new blood since the Ohio State Trap Shoot was down 10% from last year...........the attendance was the lowest in 9 years...........& some people think we should move the Grand American there????

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,745 Posts
Expanding the Cardinal center to accommodate the national pistol matches is wonderful news and this Pennsylvanian applauds Jack Fishburn for his good business sense, and vision. Make no mistake about the viability of the facilities at Maringo, as terrible weather was the culprit in this year's lower attendance, not shortcomings of the venue, which just keeps getting better in every way. So far as having the Grand there: it's a stretch, with many hurtles to navigate, the least of which is ATA politics; but, mostly, I'd think, would be if Jack would want to relinquish as much control as the ATA would demand. If they come begging with hat in hand, perhaps it could happen; but there would be much to be done.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
from what I read, why don't they fix the "Out-Stater-3" that I keep reading about...

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I cracked up laughing when we walked in entry building Saturday morning to get spots for sat and sun , we got squads on banks 5-6-7 she said

·
Registered
746 Posts
What's with the NRA farming out its competition? Last year they moved the smallbore to a range in Indiana, and now the pistol matches. According to my in with the Ohio National guard (operator of Camp Perry), the Guard would like to keep all the matches.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Ah yes, the weather again.
I'll try to make this clear.

30 minute plus drive to hotel in Ohio, a pleasant drive.

Same distance drive in Sparta, god awful worst trip ever.

Weather makes for shitty shoot and poor attendance in Ohio, justified drop in attendance.

Crappy weather during the GAH/Sparta resulting in people scratching even though they paid, a terrible sign of the World ending and more fire for the folks who live life negatively.

Got it now?

·
Premium Member
4,270 Posts
I think when Aden was running the shoot he "overrode" Bob Stuart and told them to open more balks and let the people sign up wherever. I THINK that Bob has a lot to do with trying to fill the squads first but it may not be working as planned. We had the same problem but we did not pre register. We were in there first thing monday and we had a tough time getting anything but 5,6,7. Even sunday morning for the handicap or doubles they did not open more banks and tried to fill wherever was left. Might be a better idea to open a bunch more and so there might be a skip in squads or 1/2 open squads there might be happy shooters.. Only my opinion motordoc

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What's with the NRA farming out its competition? Last year they moved the smallbore to a range in Indiana, and now the pistol matches. According to my in with the Ohio National guard (operator of Camp Perry), the Guard would like to keep all the matches.
The facility for pistol is in serious disrepair by all accounts. Being a military installation they need to maintain the primary training, rifle. Pistol no longer enjoys the govt favor so funds are lacking. Also the future appears to be electronic targets, something Fishburn has asked about.

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
PA was up around 6% with mostly nice weather. Ohio Singles championship was down plenty because of terrible weather. The motor home trinket shooting crowd obviously stayed in their trailers and drank beer instead of shooting. If there was a substantial payoff in the major events instead of trophies more might have shot. Fewer shooters are willing to screw up their averages or get wet for little return. Far too many shooters in the mid-West are afraid of a few trees-they should come to PA to overcome tree fear.

Fishburn is light years ahead of the rest with business sense. Anything's possible. Flame away!!

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Fishburn is light years ahead of the rest with business sense. Anything's possible. Flame away!!
No arguement there Andy. That man did not become wealthy by being a dummy. He is obviously a sharp businessman always thinking ahead or has people working for him that work in that capacity. I just hope his heirs have the same sense and likes for the shooting sports. Things can get ugly in one change of command.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Whew! given the weather, those are some ugly numbers for sure! -910, what's that figure? about -$27,000 in entries?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts