Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying a new tubeset for my browning so I can shoot more than just 12ga with my gun. My question is should I go with 20ga tubes or 28ga tubes. If I buy the 28s then I can shoot 3 guns if I buy 20s then all I can shoot is 12 and 20. Can anybody give me some input on what a good decision for a beginner shooter looking to expand might be please and thanks. And yes I do shoot registered targets not buying tubes just for practice and less recoil.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I have a full set of Kolar tubes. If you look at the big skeet shoots, the scores show that the 28 gauge is generally the highest average. Your idea of the 28 gauge tubes so you can also shoot the 20 gauge events is good. I never shoot 12 gauge for skeet, I just shoot the 20 gauge for event also. If I could get my avaerage up with the .410, I figure a quick easy handling 20 gauge gun with a set of .410 tubes would have me covered.

The only down side I can think of is that you can easily find cheap shells at the store for 20 gauge. I have never seen 28 gauge bargains. A lot of places do not even carry 28 gauge. If you do find them, the price is really high. If you are a reloader, you have less problem in this area. When buying shells, the cost savings on 20 gauge will pay off a set of 20 gauge tubes pretty fast.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Surprised you haven't got bashed asking questions about skeet on a trap shooters web site. You may want to go over to shotgunworld.com skeet forum and ask your question. If I was wanting to add another gauge, I would go with Brileys companion skeet tubes. Your Browning should be able to work with 28ga tubes, but if you decide to purchase a set of 410 tubes, the Browning triggers will need to be changed to mechanical.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do plan on reloading but first off I need to find hulls and also a reloader. Once I find those 2 things I will be ok with reloading my own stuff. I'm not rearly into buying brand new ammo from the store

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have a set of 20ga companion tubes now that I am thinking about selling to buy the 28ga I was just wondering about my averages and if running 3/4 ounce 28ga would drop myou average in the 20ga events.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I do plan on reloading but first off I need to find hulls and also a reloader. Once I find those 2 things I will be ok with reloading my own stuff. I'm not rearly into buying brand new ammo from the store
You are going to need to buy some 28g ammo to get the hulls. I NEVER see 28g hulls in the trash. If there were a 28g shooter who trashed his hulls, there would be a cleanup crew behind him at every station:)
Buy 2 flats of Win AA 28g shells, shootem and reload the hulls for about 10X each.

ps: you can shoot 28g for trap too. Practice with 28g and then shoot 12g at an event. 28g will teach you how to center the target. And yes, I shoot skeet and am happy about it and I don't wear a skirt to do it. I also shoot Trap, 5-stand and Sporting Clays.

Reactions: Leo

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do the aa hulls hold up. I've always gone remington sts or nitro 12ga and I love them. How long would the aa in 28ga last?

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
For some reason, the AA hulls in 28 and 410 last much longer then Remington hulls. Last batch of 28 gauge AA hulls that I tossed had 14 reloads in them. You can get 3-4 out of the Remingtons.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One more question. When buying the 28ga tubes for my gun which choke tubes should I go with. Skeet over skeet or should I go with like ic?

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
If you want to shoot three gauges, get 28 gauge tubes, reload, use them for practice and in the 20 gauge event.

If you would be satisfied shooting two gauges, get 20 gauge tubes and shoot new ammo.

The newbie skeeters at my club are pretty evenly split between 28 gauge and reload, and 20 gauge and buy new. Odd tho, the one of the guys that chose 28 now shoots almost all his practice with his 12 so he doesn't have to fool with reloading.

If I was a newbie I'd be inclined to start with 20 gauge tubes and buying new. If that worked and I desired to start shooting three gauges I'd add the 28 tubes. If you are just shooting the 28 gauge for a couple of registered events per year, buying new AA28s, taking the rebate, and selling the empties will probably make sense. How much can save on 8 or 12 boxes? Prolly not enough to justify a buying a loader.

·
Registered
10,224 Posts
Hey 6114---If you really want to shoot skeet then you will not be using the 12 barrels anymore. You will just use the sub-gauge tubes for all your shooting. The 12 ga. barrels will be to light without the tubes installed. Barrel weights are a PITA big time, so is really having to clean the 12 barrel so you can install the tubes for the next event that starts right now!!! Now are you planning to shoot for any length of time??? Do you have the time to shoot doubles??? Do you have the time to shoot all 4 gauges??? If you answered Yes to all 3 or even to just 1 of them. I suggest you get the full set of all 3 gauges at one time. 1) Its much cheaper this way. 2) Your gun will be easier to sell down the road. 3) less down time when you want to add some down the road.
Get the fitted ultra light tubes from Briley!!! Get a case to carry the gun and the tube-set. I have the SKB case and its great, and light enough to carry to the fields. The metal America cases are just to heavy for normal use. You will shoot the 20 ga. for all doubles, the 12 ga. events, and the 20 ga. events, then the other ga. for their events. If you want to hold off on the baby-bore for a while that's cool. When your ready you'll already have the tube-set and your off.
For reloading I use the Win. AA's for all 4 gauges. They outlast the Remington's in all 4 gauges as well. You just missed the yearly sale where you get 2 dollars off a box with a 5 flat limit per address!!! You have to reload. Even the 20 ga. can be reloaded far below the $5.50 that economy 20 ga. go for. Last time I checked it was just under 4 bucks a box with premium shot.
Bottom line is once you start 3 gauges, its just a matter of time before you want/need to shoot all 5 events, because of the HOA, and HAA you'll be missing out on. Unless of course you are a lousy shot and don't care if you win or lose!!! LOL. Sorry I had to do it. Good Luck on your Journey no matter what "YOU" Decide. break em all Jeff

1 - 20 of 29 Posts